Sheikh Mohammed, represented by John Ferguson Bloodstock, bought the session-topping horse for the second day in a row at the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s spring sale of 2-year-olds in training. Dubai's ruler picked up a Snow Ridge filly for $180,000 April 21 after acquiring a $675,000 A.P. Indy colt during the auction's opening session.
The average price rose to a record height Tuesday during the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s select juvenile auction at Calder Race Course in South Florida.
Fasig-Tipton's Saratoga yearling sale is on pace to break last year's all-time record average price of $305,847, defying the conventional wisdom that many observers took into this year's start of the yearling sale season in July. Wednesday's numbers were up 70% from the second night session's gross in 2000, the average was up 56%, and the median 29%.
More horses were sold at the Japan Racing Horse Association's select foal sale than ever before. But the gross revenue suffered a setback, and the average price fell to its lowest level in the auction's four-year history.
A Sunday Silence colt produced from 1996 Yerba Buena Handicap (gr. IIIT) winner Fanjica sold for ¥150 million ($1,190,476) to top the first session of the Japan Racing Horse Association's select foal sale on Monday. Consigned by Shadai Farm, the colt was purchased by Hiroyoshi Usuda.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star
- Gold Dream Punches Ticket to BC Classic
- Royal Delta Half Brother Scores on Gulfstream Turf
- Terra Promessa Goes Gate to Wire in Bayakoa
- Cuddle Alert Gives Sire Bedford Falls First Stakes Win