At least two of the four companies conducting advance deposit wagering in Illinois are shutting down operations for Illinois residents because that form of wagering is now illegal in the Land of Lincoln.
The cement-floor holding rooms and massive freezers are nearly ready for the horses, two years after fire destroyed the only horse slaughtering plant in Illinois and one of only three in the nation to process the meat for human consumption.
Most Popular Stories
- Musselman Drops Lawsuit Against Churchill
- Slideshow: Top 10 Races of 2014
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Marketer Voluntarily Recalls Equine Gastric Ulcer Product
- Disco Rico Euthanized After Laminitis Battle
- Horsemen, Suffolk Downs Continue Discussion
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- Durkin to Receive Eclipse Award of Merit
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress