Standout West Virginia-bred mare Down Town Allen was euthanized May 12 as a result of complications arising out of injuries she suffered in the Original Gold Stakes April 18 at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races.
Mark Russell's popular 8-year-old gelding Russell Road, who hadn't won since May, turned the tables on heavy favorite Lucy's Bob Boy to win the West Virginia Breeders' Classic Oct. 18 for the third time in his career.
Eleanor M. Casey, matriarch of one of West Virginia's most successful racing families, died July 28 after an accident at Charles Town racetrack.
Luftikus, a graded stakes winner, came through with his first winner July 6 when his son Hold On Tight won by 13 1/4 lengths at Charles Town.
Most Popular Stories
- Lane's End Texas Closes, Stallions Relocate
- Songbird All Heart at Saratoga
- Songbird Fine After Sharp CCA Oaks Victory
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- Gift Box, Connect, Swipe Entered in Curlin
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- 'Chrome' Back to Los Al After San Diego Win
- Creator, Gun Runner Work in Saratoga
- KY-Bred Colts Set for Rematch at Goodwood
- Historical Racing Argued Again in Court