The horsemen's group at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort has signed off on a plan to reduce racing days and the number of races at the West Virginia track later this year.
As it approaches its biggest day of the year racing-wise, Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort is trying to hold its own in a glutted regional gambling market.
The West Virginia Racing Commission Feb. 26 approved a resolution agreeing in principle with the effort to bring uniform medication, penalty, and testing rules to racing jurisdictions in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.
The West Virginia Racing Commission Jan. 18 approved allocation of more than $1 million in purse and bonus money for this year's grade II West Virginia Derby, and also allowed for race schedule changes at Mountaineer.
Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort will begin its 10-month meet March 2 with some upgrades and increased promotion, but officials also are keeping an eye on neighboring states as they expand gambling opportunities.
The president and two members of the Mountaineer Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association who were suspended March 17 have been reinstated pending an April 8 court hearing.
The president and two members of the Mountaineer Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association board of directors have been suspended in what some members are calling a "hostile takeover" of the organization.
In three short years, Richard Englander has carved his name alongside Thoroughbred racing's elite list of owners. He has done it not by purchasing blue-blood stock for seven figures at public auction, but by setting up racing stables from coast to coast and employing nine different trainers in as many states, and claiming his way to the top.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Sam's Sister Stuns Taris in Quick La Brea
- California Chrome is Vox Populi Award Winner
- Alert Bay Wins Mathis Brothers Mile Thriller
- Prado 'Day to Day' After Gulfstream Spill
- Nine-Month Suspension Recommended for Veitch
- Leave the Light On for Storm Cat
- Six Grade I Races Set for Belmont Stakes Day
- Salutos Amigos Adds Gravesend Stakes Victory
- New York Stallion Series On Tap at Aqueduct