As Laurel Park digs out from a pair of massive snow storms, the Maryland Jockey Club will run four stakes races Presidents Day, including the General George and Barbara Fritchie Handicaps (both gr. II).
Barbara Fritchie (gr. II) and John B. Campbell Handicaps moved to Feb. 15.
In his first try against stakes company, Overbrook Farm's even-money favorite Coast Line held off graded stakes winner Offlee Wild by a neck for his fifth win in a row in the $125,000 John B. Campbell Breeders' Cup Handicap at Laurel Park Saturday.
After having reviewed film of the Feb. 12 incident at Laurel Park involving Rogue Agent and Evening Attire in the John B. Campbell Handicap, the Laurel
stewards suspended Norberto Arroyo Jr., rider of Rogue Agent, for 15 days.
Eighty-nine horses have been nominated to Laurel Park's Winter SprintFest to be run on President's Day weekend (Feb. 14-16).
Dennis Drazin's Tempest Fugit stole an easy lead, dictated his own pace and then had enough to out-finish his closest pursuer, Quiet Gratitude, to win the $100,000 John B. Campbell Handicap at Laurel Park.
Blizzard-like conditions in the Baltimore/Washington D.C. area wiped out racing at Laurel Park for the entire Presidents' Day weekend, forcing the Maryland Jockey Club to reschedule the winter meeting's two major stakes this Saturday. At Aqueduct, racing was postponed after Sunday's first race and for Monday's entire card/
Eleven older males who have combined to win 81 races and over $3 million have entered Sunday's $100,000 John B. Campbell Handicap at Laurel Park.
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for the Baltimore and Washington D.C. metropolitan areas for Saturday and Sunday, which coincides with Laurel Park's biggest stakes weekend of the winter meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Is Early Detection of Arthritis in Horses Finally a Reality?
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Lady Pimpernel Gets First U.S. Win in Frankel
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Taris to be Sidelined After Injury in La Brea
- Distinctiv Passion Rockets to Midnight Lute
- Ghost Bay Breaks Maiden in Maryland Juvenile