With little to contend with, Mucho Macho Man galloped to victory as he pleased by 14 lengths while opening his 2014 campaign in the $400,000 Florida Sunshine Millions Jan. 18 at Gulfstream Park.
- By Blood-Horse Staff
- Thoroughbred Racing, Thoroughbred Breeding, International, Breeders' Cup, Kentucky
Paced by Novellist, Christoph Berglar has won the third annual John Deere Award as outstanding breeder of the 2013 Breeders' Cup Challenge Series and Breeders' Cup World Championships.
Ever-youthful Gary Stevens put an exclamation point on his remarkable comeback this season when riding Mucho Macho Man to a nose victory in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) Nov. 2 at Santa Anita Park.
Mucho Macho Man earned his long-anticipated first grade I victory and stamped his return ticket to the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) with an impressive performance in the $250,000 Awesome Again Stakes Sept. 28.
Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith flew from California to ride Mucho Macho Man in the $300,000 Suburban Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park July 7, and the trip paid off as the big bay colt won the 1 1/8-mile test.
U.S. champion female sprinter was bred by Ocala Stud and sold as a 2-year-old at the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s April sale.
The son of Macho Uno wins his second stakes of the year in the Gulfstream Park Handicap.
With Rajiv Maragh picking up the mount for the injured Eibar Coa, Mucho Macho Man held off Santiva to win the $300,000 Risen Star Stakes (gr. II) by 1 1/2 lengths Feb. 19 at Fair Grounds.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Flintshire Looking Strong for Sword Dancer
- Mohaymen Cuts Back to Sprint in King's Bishop
- Ballerina Stakes Has Stage Full of Talent
- Quality Five-Horse Field for Personal Ensign
- A.P. Indian Puts Streak On Line in Forego
- Masochistic Looms in Pat O'Brien
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- Tepin Back to Brilliant in Saratoga Work
- 'Cleopatra' in Gate Drill for Debutante