The Curragh will unveil a new owners' lounge Sunday, March 20, opening day of the season.
Elite European sprinter Slade Power, winner of the Diamond Jubilee (Eng-I) in June at Royal Ascot, has been purchased by Darley to stand next year at Kildangan Stud in Ireland.
Michael Buckley, nominations manager at Darley's Kildangan Stud in County Kildare, Ireland, died suddenly at his home Jan. 12, according to a statement from the farm. He was 45.
The Fasig-Tipton Kentucky July select yearling auction generated results in the opening session that indicated the market for young Thoroughbreds hadn't changed much since last year, according to the sale company.
He will be raced by Dubai's Ruler, Sheikh Mohammed.
Part one of the Goffs Orby yearling sale in Ireland ended Sept. 30 in Ireland with an 11.1% increase in median price from 2008 and a 6.7% loss in average price. This year, there were two sessions in part one of the auction -- down from three last year -- and the sale's gross dropped 31.5%, in part because fewer horses were offered and sold.
The first wave of up to 30 American mares booked to Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Raven's Pass is scheduled to reach Ireland on Dec. 20, with two other groups slated to begin quarantine soon prior to their trips.
Darley stallion In the Wings, who won the 1990 Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. I) and was a champion in France, was diagnosed with laminitis the past weekend and has been relieved temporarily from stallion duty.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- The Paralyzed Jockey Who's Still in the Race
- Wake Forest Heads United Nations
- Top Caribbean Race to be Held at Gulfstream
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- NM Will Suspend Horses Who Fail Drug Tests
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Kentucky Case Sheds Light on Cruelty Laws
- Tuttipaesi Chases Graded Repeat
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert