Elite European sprinter Slade Power, winner of the Diamond Jubilee (Eng-I) in June at Royal Ascot, has been purchased by Darley to stand next year at Kildangan Stud in Ireland.
Michael Buckley, nominations manager at Darley's Kildangan Stud in County Kildare, Ireland, died suddenly at his home Jan. 12, according to a statement from the farm. He was 45.
The Fasig-Tipton Kentucky July select yearling auction generated results in the opening session that indicated the market for young Thoroughbreds hadn't changed much since last year, according to the sale company.
He will be raced by Dubai's Ruler, Sheikh Mohammed.
Part one of the Goffs Orby yearling sale in Ireland ended Sept. 30 in Ireland with an 11.1% increase in median price from 2008 and a 6.7% loss in average price. This year, there were two sessions in part one of the auction -- down from three last year -- and the sale's gross dropped 31.5%, in part because fewer horses were offered and sold.
The first wave of up to 30 American mares booked to Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) winner Raven's Pass is scheduled to reach Ireland on Dec. 20, with two other groups slated to begin quarantine soon prior to their trips.
Darley stallion In the Wings, who won the 1990 Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. I) and was a champion in France, was diagnosed with laminitis the past weekend and has been relieved temporarily from stallion duty.
Most Popular Stories
- Belle Gallantey Steals Delaware Handicap
- Featured Horse Profile: Ben's Cat
- Doinghardtimeagain Grinds Out Great Lady M.
- Empire Dreams Lands New York Derby
- Shakin It Up Retired, To Stand at Spendthrift
- The Pizza Man Gets Dough in Stars and Stripes
- Closing Divine Oath Snatches American Derby
- Arlington Lover I'm Already Sexy Aces Modesty
- Finnegans Wake Gets Nod in Arlington 'Cap
- Starspangledbanner to Return to Coolmore