The Maryland racing community lost one of its most prominent members when award-winning journalist and racing historian Joseph B. Kelly passed away Nov. 26 after a short battle with cancer. He was 94.
In a unique promotion of the 75th Arlington Park race meet that gets underway Wednesday, track bugler Joe Kelly made a "pop-up" appearance at different locations during the Monday morning rush-hour in downtown Chicago.
John David Schapiro, former owner of Laurel Race Course, died Saturday from heart failure at a hospital in Baltimore, Md. He was 87. In 1952 he introduced the Washington D.C. International, a turf race designed to attract the best horses from around the world.
Most Popular Stories
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Agent Ryan Not Surprised by Cloud Computing's Win
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Hips to Watch: Day 1 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Soul Stirring Frankel's First Classic Winner
- Preakness Wrapup: Clouds Got in the Way
- La Coronel Prepares for Royal Ascot Run
- Actress Announces Presence in Black-Eyed Susan
- Grizzel Edges Enstone in Selene Stakes