The Maryland racing community lost one of its most prominent members when award-winning journalist and racing historian Joseph B. Kelly passed away Nov. 26 after a short battle with cancer. He was 94.
In a unique promotion of the 75th Arlington Park race meet that gets underway Wednesday, track bugler Joe Kelly made a "pop-up" appearance at different locations during the Monday morning rush-hour in downtown Chicago.
John David Schapiro, former owner of Laurel Race Course, died Saturday from heart failure at a hospital in Baltimore, Md. He was 87. In 1952 he introduced the Washington D.C. International, a turf race designed to attract the best horses from around the world.
Most Popular Stories
- Suffolk Downs Adds Race Day for Tribute
- Believe You Can to Fasig-Tipton Sale
- Fasig-Tipton Catalogs 1,236 for October Sale
- Live Chat - Friday, September 26 at NOON EST
- Ruidoso Unveils Integrity and Safety Program
- Ramseys, Brown, Castellano Top Penn Standings
- Lemon Drop Kid and Bill Farish
- Successful Owner/Breeder Aaron Jones Dies
- Slideshow: Kelso: 5 Time HOY 50th Anniversary
- McEvoy Steps Down as Godolphin Jockey