The Maryland racing community lost one of its most prominent members when award-winning journalist and racing historian Joseph B. Kelly passed away Nov. 26 after a short battle with cancer. He was 94.
In a unique promotion of the 75th Arlington Park race meet that gets underway Wednesday, track bugler Joe Kelly made a "pop-up" appearance at different locations during the Monday morning rush-hour in downtown Chicago.
John David Schapiro, former owner of Laurel Race Course, died Saturday from heart failure at a hospital in Baltimore, Md. He was 87. In 1952 he introduced the Washington D.C. International, a turf race designed to attract the best horses from around the world.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Force Upsets New York Derby
- Oaklawn Improvements Include New Barn
- Filly First Winner for Here Comes Ben
- Two Share Record Price at Arqana Summer Sale
- Catalog Online for Barretts Select Sale
- Pedigree Analysis: Olympia
- Laurel Cancels Racing Due to Water Main Break
- 'Evolution of Racing' Approaches in Lexington
- Main Sequence Class of Loaded United Nations