Australian champion Takeover Target, a former global sprinting sensation, has been euthanized following an injury sustained in a paddock accident. He was 15.
The well-traveled South African star Jay Peg added the group I, $3 million Singapore Airlines International Cup to his record when he blew away his rivals over 2,000 meters in a superlative effort at Kranji May 18.
Apache Cat takes the group I T.J. Smith Stakes at Royal Randwick over fellow group-I winners Takeover Target and Magnus, thus stamping his ticket to England's Royal Ascot in May.
There was no black type involved and the race was only worth $100,000, but the clash of group I sprinting Australian icons Takeover Target and Dance Hero over six furlongs at Royal Randwick on Saturday was as good an advertisement for horse racing as could be.
Bentley Biscuit overcame a slow start to win the Brisbane Turf Cup (Aus-I) at Doomben on May 12, prompting trainer Gai Waterhouse to declare the 5-year-old the best sprinter in Australia.
Stewards have revealed that the drug in Takeover Target, who was ordered scratched from the HK$20 million Hong Kong Cup, contained 17 parts alpha-hydroxyprogesterone hexonate. This showed up the day the horse arrived in Hong Kong from Japan in early November and again in four subsequent checks.
Ouija Board was withdrawn from the Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Vase (HK-I) at Sha Tin Racecourse on Dec. 10 due to soreness in the splint bone of her left foreleg.
Takeover Target took a giant step to a wider stage with a grand win in the Lightning Stakes (Aus-I) at Melbourne's Flemington oval Feb. 4.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Tepin Back to Brilliant in Saratoga Work
- Flatter Colt Tops OBS Select Yearling Session
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- 'Cleopatra' in Gate Drill for Debutante
- Southern CA Tracks, TOC Have Dates Agreement
- Gran Villano is 75th Scat Daddy Stakes Winner
- Six Stakes Fill NY Showcase Day
- 'Chrome,' Beholder Weighing Options after PC
- Songbird a Perfect 10 After Easy Alabama Win