Joe Hirsch, the dean of American turf writers, died early Jan. 9 at St. Luke's Hospital in New York City, according to the Daily Racing Form, where he was a long-time columnist. Hirsch was 80.
The University of Kentucky School of Journalism and Telecommunications has announced Amanda Duckworth, a senior journalism major, as the first recipient of the Joe Hirsch Scholarship.
The University of Kentucky and the National Thoroughbred Racing Association announced the establishment of the Joe Hirsch Scholarship, which annually will provide full, one-year tuition to one student who is interested in pursuing a career in Thoroughbred racing journalism.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park