Churchill Downs Inc. and the Jockeys' Guild announced Aug. 11 they have reached a three-year agreement on CDI's support of the Guild and its member jockeys. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
Representatives of jockeys' organizations from around the world gathered at Monmouth Park Sept. 13 for the first session of a two-day meeting of the International Conference on Health, Safety, and Welfare of Jockeys.
Washington Governor Christine Gregoire has signed legislation designed to keep the state's four non-profit racetracks in business after they were staggered by the three-fold increase in jockey insurance that threatened their 2006 racing seasons.
A committee established by Kentucky Gov. Ernie Fletcher to come up with a recommendation on jockey insurance met again Monday and discussed various options but could not come to any definitive agreement on a final proposal.
The California Horse Racing Board has forwarded documentation to the Jockeys' Guild pertaining to 12 cases in which California riders claim the national organization has not paid their covered medical bills.
Churchill Downs Incorporated has signed an agreement with AIG Insurance to provide $1 million in on-track insurance coverage for jockeys who compete at Fair Grounds Race Course in New
Churchill Downs president Steve Sexton has set a Dec. 7 deadline for the Jockeys' Guild to respond to a letter asking the organization to account for the $1.25 million CDI racetracks have given to the rider's organization over the past three years.
The Kentucky Racing Authority formed a committee at its Nov. 22 meeting to study jockey insurance and to provide recommendations to Gov. Ernie Fletcher on whether or not some form of worker's compensation insurance for jockeys is needed.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Study: Boots, Wraps Increase Leg Heat during Exercise
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win
- Breeder, Businessman Garvin Dies at Age 71