Jockey Jorge Herrera was killed when he was thrown from his mount in the eighth race July 5 at the Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton, Calif., a racing official confirmed.
Three memorial funds have been established to help the family of jockey Michael Rowland, who died early today of injuries received in a riding accident last week.
One jockey was killed and two others were injured Saturday when a horse stumbled coming down the stretch at Beulah Park. Arnold Ruiz, 33, of Arlington Heights, Ill., fell with Winds of Sonora and was run over by the two horses behind him, track steward Joe DeLuca said. Ruiz was pronounced dead of head injuries at Grant Hospital.
A purported associate of the late jockey Chris Antley has been arrested on charges unrelated to the rider's death Saturday night. Antley was pronounced dead at his southern California home as a result of "severe trauma to the head." Timothy Wyman Tyler Jr., 24, of Dana Point, was being held in lieu of $45,000 bail on warrants involving drugs and driving under the influence, police said.
Most Popular Stories
- Shared Belief Looking to Retain His Throne
- Understanding the Biomechanics of Lameness
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Champion English Channel Relocates to Calumet
- Wise Dan to Make Return in Bernard Baruch
- Storm and a Half to Stand in Iowa
- Tiz Wonderful Colt Sells for OKC Sale Record
- Unbeaten Taghrooda Heads Yorkshire Oaks
- Consignors Provide Keeneland Showing Schedule
- Haskin's Top Sprinters of the Last 50 Years