Jockey Jorge Herrera was killed when he was thrown from his mount in the eighth race July 5 at the Alameda County Fair in Pleasanton, Calif., a racing official confirmed.
Three memorial funds have been established to help the family of jockey Michael Rowland, who died early today of injuries received in a riding accident last week.
One jockey was killed and two others were injured Saturday when a horse stumbled coming down the stretch at Beulah Park. Arnold Ruiz, 33, of Arlington Heights, Ill., fell with Winds of Sonora and was run over by the two horses behind him, track steward Joe DeLuca said. Ruiz was pronounced dead of head injuries at Grant Hospital.
A purported associate of the late jockey Chris Antley has been arrested on charges unrelated to the rider's death Saturday night. Antley was pronounced dead at his southern California home as a result of "severe trauma to the head." Timothy Wyman Tyler Jr., 24, of Dana Point, was being held in lieu of $45,000 bail on warrants involving drugs and driving under the influence, police said.
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Records on the Line in Final Native Diver Run
- Kentucky Steps Toward Medication Uniformity
- Drug Testing Not Without Its Challenges
- String King to Try Dirt at Fair Grounds
- Aftercare Alliance Awards $1M in Grants
- Lexie Lou Heads Ontario Lassie
- Jed Doro, Nancy Ury Added to Oaklawn Staff
- Brisnet.com Ultimate Guide to Aqueduct Inner