Joanies Bella, Ohio champion 2-year-old filly of 2001, died of colic Feb. 14 at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital near Lexington.
Joanies Bella, a graded stakes winner and Ohio champion, has been retired from racing.
Harlan's Holiday, the Florida Derby winner who is headed to the April 13 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes on the road to the May 4 Kentucky Derby, was named Ohio Horse of the Year and top 2-year-old colt for 2001.
The Oak Leaf Stakes (gr. I) on Sept. 30 was expected to be a rematch of Del Mar's Debutante Stakes (gr. I), a race won by Habibti, with Who Loves Aleyna second and Tempera third. But it looks as though Habibti will be the only one of those three contesting the one-mile Oak Leaf.
Ohio-bred Joanies Bella upset favored Miss Indiana to win Saturday's Arlington Washington Lassie Stakes (gr. III) at Arlington Park. Under Marlon St. Julien, Joanies Bella completed the one-mile course in 1:39.34 on a fast track.
Most Popular Stories
- TOBA Schedules Events in Saratoga Springs
- Queen's Horse Tests Positive for Morphine
- Risk Factors for EIPH in Australian Racehorses Studied
- Prominent Owner Borislow Dies at Age 52
- Tonalist Begins Push for Eclipse Award
- Jerkens Aims for 'Wicked Strong' Saratoga
- Sky Kingdom Returns to 1 1/2 Miles in Cougar
- A Timeline for Synthetic Racing Surfaces
- War Chant to Remain at Yarradale in Australia
- Adena Springs' Roberts Returns to Training