Joanies Bella, Ohio champion 2-year-old filly of 2001, died of colic Feb. 14 at Rood and Riddle Equine Hospital near Lexington.
Joanies Bella, a graded stakes winner and Ohio champion, has been retired from racing.
Harlan's Holiday, the Florida Derby winner who is headed to the April 13 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes on the road to the May 4 Kentucky Derby, was named Ohio Horse of the Year and top 2-year-old colt for 2001.
The Oak Leaf Stakes (gr. I) on Sept. 30 was expected to be a rematch of Del Mar's Debutante Stakes (gr. I), a race won by Habibti, with Who Loves Aleyna second and Tempera third. But it looks as though Habibti will be the only one of those three contesting the one-mile Oak Leaf.
Ohio-bred Joanies Bella upset favored Miss Indiana to win Saturday's Arlington Washington Lassie Stakes (gr. III) at Arlington Park. Under Marlon St. Julien, Joanies Bella completed the one-mile course in 1:39.34 on a fast track.
Most Popular Stories
- Keen Ice Springs Travers Upset on 'Pharoah'
- Runhappy Romps to Record King's Bishop Score
- Loss Can't Derail Pharoah Phenomenon
- Island Town Crushes Smarty Jones Field
- Private Zone Speeds to Forego Victory
- Flintshire Flies Away From Sword Dancer Foes
- Chilean Invader Dacita Takes Ballston Spa
- Sheer Drama Plays Spoiler in Personal Ensign
- Australian Trainer Bart Cummings Dies at 87
- Unbridled Forever Rolls to First Grade I Win