Joan "Jody" Phillips, whose father started prominent Darby Dan Farm, died April 21 at the James Cancer Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.
Wonder Again got the yielding turf trainer James Toner was hoping for and under patient handling from Edgar Prado, she registered an easy 5 3/4-length victory in the $500,000 Diana Handicap (gr. I) at rainy Saratoga Race Course Saturday.
A classy field of seven fillies and mares have signed up for Sunday's $500,000 Diana Stakes (gr. IT) at Saratoga, and the other six have Intercontinental to beat.
Joan and John Phillips' Wonder Again, fresh off a game victory in the Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Belmont Park, will face five rivals in the $500,000 WinStar Galaxy (gr. IIT) to be run Sunday on the Keeneland turf course.
John and Joan Phillips' Wonder Again won for the first time in 2003 and ended a five-race losing streak, taking Saturday's $150,000 Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) for fillies and mares at Belmont Park.
Voodoo Dancer and Wonder Again, a pair of grade I winners that sit near the top of the female turf division, square off for the first time in Saturday's $100,000 Beaugay Handicap (gr. IIIT).
John and Joan Phillips' Ellie's Moment opened her 2003 campaign Wednesday by running down favored front-runner Pocus Hocus to win the $77,075 Rare Treat Handicap for fillies and mares at Aqueduct Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Close Hatches Dominates Personal Ensign
- California Chrome Sharpens Up at Los Alamitos
- Mark Valeski, Magna Graduate to Woodford
- Bayern Gallops 1 1/2 Miles On Eve of Travers
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Pedigree Analysis: Bayern
- Hootenanny, The Wow Signal to Meet in France
- Jerkens, Lukas, Durkin Honored at Saratoga
- Irish Surf Opts for Classic Over Del Mar 'Cap