Jimmy Z snapped a 16-race losing streak in grand style Friday at Golden Gate Fields when he got up in the final jump to win the $100,000 Forty-Niner Handicap by a head.
Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner War Emblem was reported in good shape this morning, following Tuesday's sizzling 5-furlong work in 57 3/5 seconds for Sunday's $1-million, grade I Pacific Classic.
European import Jorrocks cleared quarantine and arrived at trainer Bob Hess Jr.'s barn Wednesday ready to roll in the $1-million Santa Anita Handicap on March 3. "We bought him specifically to run in this race," said Hess. In other Big 'Cap developments, Horse of the Year Tiznow was among those working Thursday in preparation for the grade I test.
Most Popular Stories
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26
- Battle of Midway Cruises to Affirmed Victory
- 'Hermaphrodite' Reported Before Race at Santa Anita
- Collected Dominant Again in Precisionist Stakes
- Brothers in Arms: Idaho Takes Hardwicke Stakes
- Finley'sluckycharm Makes it Three in a Row in Chicago
- Mind Your Biscuits Emerges Well From Bullet Work
- Stormin Fever Euthanized at 23
- Undefeated Caravaggio Shines in Commonwealth Cup