The Tattersalls December foal sale opened Nov. 23 in England with increases of 17.8% in the number of horses sold, 16.1% in gross, and 7.8% in median price. The average price declined 1.5%.
After an extended wait in traffic while racing around the far turn, Dumbarton Farm's Easy Red angled out, charged between runners mid-stretch and drove to victory in the $75,000 Jennings Handicap by a head at Laurel Park Saturday.
Mr. and Mrs. Bertram R. Firestone's stalking Bastille prevailed in a hard stretch drive over Fishy Advice to win the $200,000 John D. Schapiro Memorial Breeders' Cup by a neck on the turf at Laurel Park.
Ten months after riding in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), jockey Steve Hamilton announced his retirement. The 32-year-old has not ridden since Maryland Million Day on Oct. 15. After contemplating a comeback, he decided to end his racing career for the second time.
In the annual Amateur Riders of America race Saturday at Laurel Park, John Poe, an exercise rider for Ben Feliciano, Jr., guided Flirting to a one-length victory over Cynics Quest for trainer Jimmy Murphy.
Trading at Goffs' flagship yearling auction, the Orby Sale, fell just behind the 2001 fixture when the two-day event finished at Kill, Co Kildare, in Ireland on Wednesday evening.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Has Lone Churchill Breeze
- Positive Forecast for Kentucky Derby, Oaks
- Kentucky Derby: Dortmund in the House
- Jones Fillies Drill for Kentucky Oaks
- Kentucky Derby News Update: April 26, 2015
- Three Derby Hopefuls Have Derby-Winning Sires
- KY Derby: Zayats & Baffert - American Pharoah
- Calumet Farm: The Rebirth of a Legend
- Blazing Speed Wins QE II Cup in Hong Kong
- Dortmund Runs Easy in Final Derby Drill