The Tattersalls December foal sale opened Nov. 23 in England with increases of 17.8% in the number of horses sold, 16.1% in gross, and 7.8% in median price. The average price declined 1.5%.
After an extended wait in traffic while racing around the far turn, Dumbarton Farm's Easy Red angled out, charged between runners mid-stretch and drove to victory in the $75,000 Jennings Handicap by a head at Laurel Park Saturday.
Mr. and Mrs. Bertram R. Firestone's stalking Bastille prevailed in a hard stretch drive over Fishy Advice to win the $200,000 John D. Schapiro Memorial Breeders' Cup by a neck on the turf at Laurel Park.
Ten months after riding in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I), jockey Steve Hamilton announced his retirement. The 32-year-old has not ridden since Maryland Million Day on Oct. 15. After contemplating a comeback, he decided to end his racing career for the second time.
In the annual Amateur Riders of America race Saturday at Laurel Park, John Poe, an exercise rider for Ben Feliciano, Jr., guided Flirting to a one-length victory over Cynics Quest for trainer Jimmy Murphy.
Trading at Goffs' flagship yearling auction, the Orby Sale, fell just behind the 2001 fixture when the two-day event finished at Kill, Co Kildare, in Ireland on Wednesday evening.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- Fast Uncle Mo Filly Tops F-T Midlantic Sale
- Friesan Fire Colt Tops Midlantic at $825,000
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- Possible NYRA Plan Concerns Saratoga Group
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Call for Support