Eighty minutes or so before the sport's top 3-year-olds battle it out in Saturday's Belmont Stakes, some of racing's fastest and classiest three-year-old fillies - including Christmas Kid, Cotton Blossom, and Boca Grande - will meet in the 77th running of the Acorn Stakes (gr. I).
Artie Schiller, who finished 12th in last year's NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT), came back as the 5-1 second choice to upset favorite Leroidesanimaux and take this year's edition by three-quarters of a length.
Multiple Choice proved to be the correct choice Sunday when he rallied from off the pace to catch Sing Me Back Home in deep stretch and notch a ¾ length decision in the rescheduled $109,200 Gravesend Handicap (gr. III) at Aqueduct.
Cynthia Knight's Dat You Miz Blue, who beat champion Xtra Heat in the Dec. 14 Garland of Roses Handicap at Aqueduct, has been retired from racing
Snake Mountain, making his first start since winning an allowance a month ago at Aqueduct, took the inside route to victory in the Nov. 5 Stuyvesant Handicap (gr. III) at 1 1/8 miles at the Big A.
Thirteen 3-year-olds were entered in Wednesday's $100,000-added Discovery Handicap (gr. III), the opening day feature of Aqueduct's 48-day Fall Meeting.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Has Final Work for Haskell
- Frac Daddy Retired With Suspensory Strain
- It's Wait and See for Large WV Derby Field
- Small Farm Yields Big Returns for Smith
- Sprint Champ, Commanding Curve Spice Stakes
- Stanford Among Seven for Curlin Stakes
- The Week in Photos for 7/28/2015
- Steps Toward Integrity
- Belmont Average Handle, Attendance Decline
- Curalina Gets CCA Oaks After 'Chatterbox' DQ