The Virginia Racing Commission has approved a request that would allow Colonial Downs to become a guarantor of the debt of its parent company, Gameco. The proposal is part of a long-range plan that increases the purse of the Virginia Derby to $500,000 for at least three years.
The purse for the Virginia Derby at Colonial Downs could rise to as much as $500,000 from $200,000 based on a plan presented to the Virginia Racing Commission March 20.
The Virginia Racing Task Force believes it will obtain a loan to fund purses for the proposed spring-summer meet at Colonial Downs this year, but regulators are concerned there won't be enough money or horses to support the plan.
Most Popular Stories
- Ageless Sustains Cut in Franklin County Win
- American Pharoah, Beholder Work for Classic
- Jockeys Find Keeneland Mile Race Challenging
- Consumer Credit Aims to End Skid in Pebbles
- Honor Code to Prepare for Classic at Belmont
- Circumference to Stand at Milky Way in 2016
- Springhouse Takes Shot in Cup and Saucer
- OBS Under Tack Show Set for Oct. 12
- Meadowlands Cancels Racing for Oct. 9
- Pedigree Analysis: Bloodroot