The Virginia Racing Commission has approved a request that would allow Colonial Downs to become a guarantor of the debt of its parent company, Gameco. The proposal is part of a long-range plan that increases the purse of the Virginia Derby to $500,000 for at least three years.
The purse for the Virginia Derby at Colonial Downs could rise to as much as $500,000 from $200,000 based on a plan presented to the Virginia Racing Commission March 20.
The Virginia Racing Task Force believes it will obtain a loan to fund purses for the proposed spring-summer meet at Colonial Downs this year, but regulators are concerned there won't be enough money or horses to support the plan.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- Carpe Diem Faces Ocean Knight in Tampa Derby
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- On the Muscle, Dortmund Ready for San Felipe
- Take Charge Brandi Not Entered in Honeybee
- Charles Town, Penn National Cancel Racing
- Changes Possible on Federal Tax Withholdings
- Handle on U.S. Races Down 3.66% in February
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- Fair Grounds Preps a Tale of Two Sexes