Jim Scatuorchio announced Oct. 28 that his John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) victor English Channel would be retired to stud for 2008 at a Kentucky-based farm.
- By Claire Novak
If any horse loves the Monmouth Park turf course, it's Jim Scatuorchio's English Channel, who won back-to-back runnings of the track's United Nations Stakes (gr. IT) and twice set the course record in doing so.
Jim Scatuorchio, owner of multiple stakes winner Ready's Image, said Wednesday the colt came out of the Oct. 6 Champagne Stakes (gr. I) with a chip in his knee and will undergo arthoscopic surgery.
Jim Scatuorchio's English Channel broke his own course record at Monmouth Park Saturday as he powered his way to a one-length victory in the 54th running of the $750,000 United Nations Stakes Presented by TVG (gr. IT).
Favored Scat Daddy put away his rival Stormello soon after they reached the stretch and finished strongly to hold off the grinding Notional, capturing the $1 million Florida Derby (gr. I) at Gulfstream Park in an impressive effort Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Jerkens Aims for 'Wicked Strong' Saratoga
- Adena Springs' Roberts Returns to Training
- The Dirt On Synthetics Timeline
- Thoroughbred Club to Honor Veterinarians
- Encouraging Starts to Saratoga, Del Mar Meets
- What's Going On Here: Keeping the Promise
- The Week in Photos for 7/22/2014
- Commanding Curve Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Better Lucky Shines; My Miss Aurelia Third
- Filly Untapable Works Toward Haskell