First-year stallion Tail of Ekati has his first mare pronounced in foal. The stakes-winning Sea Breezer is out of 2-year-old filly champ Lakeville Miss. Tale of Ekati stands at Darby Dan Farm near Lexington.
The first reported foal by grade I winner Bellamy Road is a filly born Jan. 11 at Jim and Pam Robinson's Brandywine Farm near Paris, Ky.
With the auction business slowing down and the costs of production rising, it isn't an easy time to be a Thoroughbred breeder. Horsemen who profited from rallying bloodstock prices for much of the 1990s are being forced to reevaluate the financial health of their operations and revise economic strategies. The situation is particularly difficult for farm owners who derive most of their income from horses that fit into the middle and lower levels of the market.
Most Popular Stories
- Durkin Nears Finish Line of Brilliant Career
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- Stallion Oxbow to Stand at Calumet in 2015
- Competitive Group Entered for Smarty Jones
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Hollendorfer Duo Part of Even Yellow Ribbon
- Micromanage Set for Another Distance Test