First-year stallion Tail of Ekati has his first mare pronounced in foal. The stakes-winning Sea Breezer is out of 2-year-old filly champ Lakeville Miss. Tale of Ekati stands at Darby Dan Farm near Lexington.
The first reported foal by grade I winner Bellamy Road is a filly born Jan. 11 at Jim and Pam Robinson's Brandywine Farm near Paris, Ky.
With the auction business slowing down and the costs of production rising, it isn't an easy time to be a Thoroughbred breeder. Horsemen who profited from rallying bloodstock prices for much of the 1990s are being forced to reevaluate the financial health of their operations and revise economic strategies. The situation is particularly difficult for farm owners who derive most of their income from horses that fit into the middle and lower levels of the market.
Most Popular Stories
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Consignors Bullish on Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale
- White Beauty Lineage
- Classic Empire Out of Fountain of Youth
- Grade 1 Winner Gormley Works Toward Next Start
- Laurel Park to Introduce Fans to Ownership Experience
- Lucky Pulpit, Sire of 'Chrome', Dies of a Heart Attack
- Epicharis Earns Japan's Kentucky Derby Bid
- Zakaroff 48-1 Stunner in El Camino Real Derby
- Mo Town Set for 3-Year-Old Debut in Risen Star