Kettle Corn came from off the pace to win the $200,000 San Diego Handicap (gr. III), spoiling the return of Paynter to graded stakes competition July 27 at Del Mar.
Rockamundo, who won the 1993 Arkansas Derby (gr. II) at 108-1 for owners Gary and Mary West, died Jan. 18 at age 23 because of complications from colic.
Kettle Corn, glued to the rail by jockey Garrett Gomez, slipped by favored Tres Borrachos in deep stretch and held on tenaciously for a half-length victory in the $100,000 Native Diver Handicap (gr. III) at Hollywood Park.
After Misty Ocean scored a 5 1/2-length win in a minor stakes at Golden Gate Fields last month, trainer Jerry Hollendorfer had a much more ambitious spot in mind for his newly converted turf runner. His hunch proved correct when the 3-year-old daughter of Stormy Atlantic went gate to wire to win the $173,250 Honeymoon Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIT) at Hollywood Park June 7.
Frankfort Park Land, a partnership headed by Irish bloodstock agent Brendan Gallagher, has purchased Old Frankfort Stud near Lexington, home of 1992 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Lil E. Tee. Jim Plemmons, who founded the Lexington farm in 1993, is relocating to neighboring Woodford County. The 220-acre farm sold for $3.65 million, according to public records.
Zadracarta, a multiple Canadian stakes winner who came within a head of being a French group I winner, died April 2.
Mula Gula will move from Washington State to Kentucky for the 2003 breeding season.
Millionaire Frisk Me Now's first foal is a filly born at Jim Plemmons' Old Frankfort Stud near Lexington on Jan. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- New York-Bred Palace At Home In Vanderbilt
- Tom Amoss Secures 3,000th Training Victory
- Juddmonte Stallions Available to S.H. Mares
- Stronach Group Names Vet O'Neil to Key Post
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Kingman Wins Sussex with Dazzling Late Speed
- Thoroughbred Marketplace at Pimlico Oct. 4-5
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- Federal Judge Dismisses Dutrow Lawsuit