Connections of Triple Crown winners Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed talked May 27 about California Chrome, his connections, and his chances in the Belmont Stakes (gr. I).
The connections of Secretariat, Seattle Slew, and Affirmed all feel Chrome is the one.
Midway, Ky., farm will add a second synthetic track and seven barns for training, broodmares, and yearlings.
Susan and Jim Hill take Woodbine's Highlander Stakes Presented by Pizzaville (Can-III) just two races after winning the Dance Smartly Stakes (Can-II) with Solid Appeal. Their Go Blue Or Go Home covers six furlongs in 1:10.46.
Susan and Jim Hill's Solid Appeal, a 4-year-old daughter of Successful Appeal, knocked down her second straight grade II Canadian stakes, winning the Dance Smartly Stakes at Woodbine July 7 by two lengths.
Stormy Shay, whose broodmare sire is Seattle Slew, triumphs at Aaqueduct.
It was nine o'clock in the morning on May 7, 2002--25 years to the day since Seattle Slew's historic victory in the Kentucky Derby (gr. I). The great Thoroughbred gave one final look at his devoted owners, Karen and Mickey Taylor, who, as usual, were by his side. And with his eyes, he proclaimed, as the Sioux warriors used to before going to battle, "It is a good day to die."
Trainer Billy Turner said the late Seattle Slew stood alone in comparison to racing's other Triple Crown winners. "He was undefeated. He set track records. He did everything he had to do." Yet Turner said some people resented the horse who won the 1977 Triple Crown, just four years after Secretariat.
Most Popular Stories
- Dortmund Wins Dramatic Los Alamitos Futurity
- Leading Laurel Rider McCarthy Breaks Wrist
- Asmussen, Albarado Team for Four-Win Day
- Favored Act of War Captures Cape Guineas
- CHRB Eyes Scratching of Unreported Geldings
- California Chrome Drills at Los Alamitos
- Bayern Turns in Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Rodenticide Linked to Six Sudden Horse Deaths
- Old Friends to Receive Special Eclipse Award
- Travis Stone Named Churchill Downs Announcer