Katdogawn, a mare that had lost 10 races in a row in spite of some top efforts against leading Southern California company, closed strongly under left-handed urging from Jerry Bailey to defeat 8-5 favorite Valentine Dancer in Monday's $200,000 WinStar Distaff Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Lone Star Park turf.
Ticker Tape, runner-up as the favorite in the Del Mar Oaks (gr. IT) in her last start, atoned for that defeat with an authorative 2¾-length victory in the $200,000 Pucker Up Stakes (gr. IIIT) on Saturday at Arlington Park.
Jockey Mike Smith completed a sweep of Hollywood Park's rich co-features Saturday when he brought Katdogawn from well back in the stretch to hold off Personal Legend by a nose in a furious finish of the $150,000 Dahlia Handicap (gr. IIT) on the grass Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Alert Bay Repeats in San Francisco Mile
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- McErin, Five Fillies Take on Kentucky Juvenile Stakes
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out