Katdogawn, a mare that had lost 10 races in a row in spite of some top efforts against leading Southern California company, closed strongly under left-handed urging from Jerry Bailey to defeat 8-5 favorite Valentine Dancer in Monday's $200,000 WinStar Distaff Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Lone Star Park turf.
Ticker Tape, runner-up as the favorite in the Del Mar Oaks (gr. IT) in her last start, atoned for that defeat with an authorative 2¾-length victory in the $200,000 Pucker Up Stakes (gr. IIIT) on Saturday at Arlington Park.
Jockey Mike Smith completed a sweep of Hollywood Park's rich co-features Saturday when he brought Katdogawn from well back in the stretch to hold off Personal Legend by a nose in a furious finish of the $150,000 Dahlia Handicap (gr. IIT) on the grass Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- American Freedom Clear Winner in Iowa Derby
- As Borell Released, Cruelty Laws Questioned
- Top Caribbean Race to Be Held at Gulfstream
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Wake Forest Heads United Nations
- Probe Into Abandoned Horses Continues
- Globetrotting Tepin Preps for Saratoga Ship
- The Paralyzed Jockey Who's Still in the Race