It was the year a major race sponsorship went from booze to beds. And though the partnership lasted only one year--it was cut short--it played at least a small role in getting Thoroughbred racing to think outside the box.
Racing fans reserve a special place in their hearts for the talented horse denied opportunity because of injury or circumstance--like Event of the Year, who won Turfway's Kentucky Derby prep in 1998.
Event of the Year, who turned heads with his five-length victory in the 1998 Jim Beam Stakes (gr. II), died last year in Venezuela.
The dam of millionaire Polar Expedition, Wingsea, will be auctioned at Fayette County Circuit Court on June 19 to settle her owners' debt to Hilary J. Boone's Wimbledon Farm.
Lane's End Farm and Turfway Park announced a three-year agreement that will give the breeding farm located near Versailles, Ky., title sponsorship of the Northern Kentucky racetrack's premier Triple Crown prep race in the spring. It will be called the "Lane's End Spiral Stakes," which next year will be held March 23.
Most Popular Stories
- Tattersalls July Sale Ends on High Note
- The Pizza Man Key Ingredient To Arlington
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- The Influence of His Majesty
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- Belmont to Offer Low-Roller Player Tourney
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- French Derby Duo Clash Again at Longchamp
- AHC: Bonus Depreciation Bill Passed by House