On the 25th anniversary of their plucky colt’s Preakness Stakes (gr. I) win, Dogwood Stable’s Cot Campbell recalls the thrilling highs and gut-wrenching lows of campaigning a top 3-year-old along the 1990 Triple Crown trail.
It was the year a major race sponsorship went from booze to beds. And though the partnership lasted only one year--it was cut short--it played at least a small role in getting Thoroughbred racing to think outside the box.
Racing fans reserve a special place in their hearts for the talented horse denied opportunity because of injury or circumstance--like Event of the Year, who won Turfway's Kentucky Derby prep in 1998.
Event of the Year, who turned heads with his five-length victory in the 1998 Jim Beam Stakes (gr. II), died last year in Venezuela.
The dam of millionaire Polar Expedition, Wingsea, will be auctioned at Fayette County Circuit Court on June 19 to settle her owners' debt to Hilary J. Boone's Wimbledon Farm.
Lane's End Farm and Turfway Park announced a three-year agreement that will give the breeding farm located near Versailles, Ky., title sponsorship of the Northern Kentucky racetrack's premier Triple Crown prep race in the spring. It will be called the "Lane's End Spiral Stakes," which next year will be held March 23.
Most Popular Stories
- Champs Meet Again in Nassau
- Miller Promoted at Millennium Farms
- Suddenbreakingnews Works, Bound for Belmont
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Barretts Sale Features Wide Selection
- Havre de Grace Half Sister Wins at Delaware
- Strangles Leads to ThistleDown Quarantine
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired