The Fasig-Tipton Florida select sale of 2-year-olds in training March 2 was as refreshing as a cool ocean breeze on a hot summer day, providing the recession-battered Thoroughbred auction business with some relief.
A strapping A.P. Indy colt became one of the most expensive horses ever sold at the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s spring sale of 2-year-olds in training when he brought $675,000 April 20. Jimmy Bell, the president of Sheikh Mohammed's Darley America operation, signed the sale ticket in the name of John Ferguson Bloodstock as the auction began its four-day run in Central Florida with increases in the number of horses sold, gross revenue, and average price.
A Saint Ballado colt purchased for $25,000 last fall was sold for $500,000 Tuesday to top the first half of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's selected 2-year-olds in training sale at Caler Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- Adversaries Unite at Trainers' Dinner
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation
- Amoss Believes Lanerie Best Fit for Mo Tom
- Grudge Match in the Alysheba
- Nyquist's Groom Keeps Top Derby Horse Happy
- Nyquist Strong in First Churchill Gallop
- NBC Sports Group Sets Derby Week Coverage