The jury is still out on Tomcito, but following throat surgery to correct a breathing problem, he might get another shot at stardom - and Big Brown - in the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I)
Jet Set Racing's Tomcito, one of four horses that did not make the cut in last week's Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), will be looking to make a splash in the June 7 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) instead. To do that, the son of Street Cry will take the traditional route, entering in the $200,000 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) May 10, a 1 1/8-mile contest that serves as the local prep for third leg of the Triple Crown.
The April 19 Coolmore Lexington (gr. II), the final chance for Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) hopefuls to pick up graded stakes earnings, closed April 11 with 39 nominations.
Jet Set Racing Stable's Tomcito, third in the Florida Derby (gr. I) in his United States racing debut, traveled to Churchill Downs April 9 for a test run over the track which the $2 million Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) will be run May 3.
Robert Evans' Elysium Fields, runner-up in last month's $350,000 Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II), worked March 12 at Gulfstream Park in preparation for the $1 million Florida Derby (gr. I) Mar. 29.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Wraps up Serious Derby Preparations
- Mohaymen Sitting on Go for Kentucky Derby
- Busy Work Tab at Churchill for Derby Horses
- Lady Shipman Returns to U.S. In License Fee
- Outwork, Destin Turn in Final Derby Breezes
- Le Havre colt a Guineas sale pinhook coup
- Maiden Trojan Nation Seeks Derby Upset
- Laoban Works Toward Preakness ... or Derby
- Olorda Front-Running Winner of Bewitch
- Preparations Continue for Oaks Hopefuls