Mary and Joseph Grant and T.J. Kelly's Evening Attire and 2002 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Sarava are among a field of seven older horses set to go 1 1/8-miles in the $150,000 Ben Ali Stakes (gr. III) at Keeneland on Thursday.
Gators N Bears has been named New Jersey-bred horse of the year for 2003. A winner of five races from 13 starts on the year, Gators N Bears won three stakes while also being named the state's champion sprinter and champion 3-year-old male.
The favorite hasn't won the Meadowlands Cup since Marquetry in 1993, but trainer P.G. Johnson is hoping to break that trend when he brings Volponi from New York to New Jersey for Friday's grade II test at Meadowlands. The 5-year-old finished second in last year's running of the race.
Joseph Vitello's Tenpins turned in quite a game effort Saturday as he scored a one-length victory in the $200,000 Philip H. Iselin Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) at Monmouth Park.
Gators N Bears got the jump on the field rounding the turn and had enough left in the stretch to hold off a charging Mt. Carson for a half-length victory in the $100,000 Jersey Shore Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) on a Fourth of July Friday at Monmouth Park.
Jockey Joe Bravo kicked off his comeback in style, winning three races on the opening day card at Monmouth Park, including the $100,000 Red Bank Handicap on Just Le Facts and the $50,000 Gilded Time Stakes on Buzzy's Gold.
Most Popular Stories
- Kentucky Derby Winner Monarchos Dies
- WinStar Farm Sets 2017 Stud Fees
- California Chrome Powerful Late in BC Drill
- Lightstream Rallies to Win Raven Run
- China Horse Club Buys into California Chrome
- Royal Posse Sails Clear in Empire Classic
- Admirals War Chest Repeats MD Million Classic
- Winx Easily Wins Second Straight Cox Plate
- Hoppertunity, Melatonin Breeze for Classic
- Monarchos' Greatness Was Cut Way Too Short