Mary and Joseph Grant and T.J. Kelly's Evening Attire and 2002 Belmont Stakes (gr. I) winner Sarava are among a field of seven older horses set to go 1 1/8-miles in the $150,000 Ben Ali Stakes (gr. III) at Keeneland on Thursday.
Gators N Bears has been named New Jersey-bred horse of the year for 2003. A winner of five races from 13 starts on the year, Gators N Bears won three stakes while also being named the state's champion sprinter and champion 3-year-old male.
The favorite hasn't won the Meadowlands Cup since Marquetry in 1993, but trainer P.G. Johnson is hoping to break that trend when he brings Volponi from New York to New Jersey for Friday's grade II test at Meadowlands. The 5-year-old finished second in last year's running of the race.
Joseph Vitello's Tenpins turned in quite a game effort Saturday as he scored a one-length victory in the $200,000 Philip H. Iselin Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. III) at Monmouth Park.
Gators N Bears got the jump on the field rounding the turn and had enough left in the stretch to hold off a charging Mt. Carson for a half-length victory in the $100,000 Jersey Shore Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. III) on a Fourth of July Friday at Monmouth Park.
Jockey Joe Bravo kicked off his comeback in style, winning three races on the opening day card at Monmouth Park, including the $100,000 Red Bank Handicap on Just Le Facts and the $50,000 Gilded Time Stakes on Buzzy's Gold.
Most Popular Stories
- Keeneland September Sale: 4,164 Yearlings
- Desormeaux Taken Off Mounts at Del Mar
- Korean-Bred Not Just a Novelty at F-T Sale
- Delaware Jockey Facing Charges After Shooting
- WV Stakeholders Seek Racing Revenue Boost
- For Now, Nine Expected to Race in WV Derby
- HRRN On-Site for Haskell, Saratoga Stakes
- American Pharoah Arrives at Monmouth
- Darley Closes Aiken Training Track Stable
- O'Neill Sets Del Mar Record With Five Wins