Jockey Frank Olivares, riding his first race since 1990, finished second aboard Laffit in Sunday's fifth race at Hollywood Park.
A son of 1992 Horse of the Year A.P. Indy, Indygo Shiner captured the Jefferson Cup Stakes last out at Churchill Downs June 9. He is owned by Jane and F. Lyon and Lacombe Racing Stable, and is conditioned by Elliott Walden, who saddled Hawk Attack to win the 1995 Arlington Classic. Indygo Shiner ran well to finish fourth in the Sir Barton Stakes at Pimlico in May.
Earlier this year, four weeks after breaking his maiden going 1 1/8-miles on the grass March 10, trainer Jerry Fanning entered Wenga Enterprise's Cherokee Kim in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I). The colt by Cherokee Colony finished fifth behind The Thoroughbred Corp.'s Point Given, who went on to capture the Preakness and Belmont Stakes (both gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Ness Aiming for Ninth Straight Tampa Title
- Spanish Queen Unmatched in Honeymoon Victory
- Medaglia d'Oro Weanling Tops Inglis Sale
- Baffert: Derby Win 'Was a Big Sigh of Relief'
- Kentucky Derby Wrap
- Derby Overnight Rating Highest Since 1992
- 2015 Kentucky Derby Race Sequence
- Longtime Owner/Breeder Miles Dies at 85