Former trainer and Santa Anita Park stall manager Donn Luby died in his sleep April 26 from complications of cancer at the Life Care Center in Bridgeton, Mo. He was 71.
Jockey Frank Olivares, riding his first race since 1990, finished second aboard Laffit in Sunday's fifth race at Hollywood Park.
A son of 1992 Horse of the Year A.P. Indy, Indygo Shiner captured the Jefferson Cup Stakes last out at Churchill Downs June 9. He is owned by Jane and F. Lyon and Lacombe Racing Stable, and is conditioned by Elliott Walden, who saddled Hawk Attack to win the 1995 Arlington Classic. Indygo Shiner ran well to finish fourth in the Sir Barton Stakes at Pimlico in May.
Earlier this year, four weeks after breaking his maiden going 1 1/8-miles on the grass March 10, trainer Jerry Fanning entered Wenga Enterprise's Cherokee Kim in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I). The colt by Cherokee Colony finished fifth behind The Thoroughbred Corp.'s Point Given, who went on to capture the Preakness and Belmont Stakes (both gr. I).
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Fighting Laminitis, to Miss Breeding Season
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- NY Proposes Sweeping Equine Drug, Record Rules
- Summer Front's First Foal is a Filly
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes