Retired trainer Jerry Dutton, a mainstay among California horsemen for decades, died July 30 at the age 87, the Del Mar publicity department announced.
Northern California jockey Roberto Gonzalez earned his 4,000th victory Monday when he drove 31-1 shot Peak a Bootrando to victory in the seventh race at Golden Gate Fields.
Naify and Woodside Farms' Blackdoun, a French-bred colt making his American debut, set a stakes record of 1:33 2/5 for the mile on the Del Mar grass Wednesday for an impressive triumph in the featured second division of the Oceanside Stakes on opening day of Del Mar's summer racing season.
- By Jack Shinar
Trainer Jeff Mullins and owner Richard Englander say they are surprised by a California Horse Racing Board review into a victory by their filly Flyindownbaylaurel at Hollywood Park on May 21 and said the action is the result of Mullin's success on the Southern California circuit.
Thursday morning found Elaine's Angel, a top California contender in the $350,000 Franks Farms (Filly & Mare) Turf, safely bedded down in Barn 11 on the Gulfstream Park backstretch.
Headed by recent allowance winner Martinblestme, a field of 10 is lining up for Monday's $100,000 I'm Smokin Stakes at 6 furlongs on the main track for Cal-bred 2-year-olds.
Most Popular Stories
- Borells Charged With Animal Cruelty
- Danzing Candy to Make First Start for Baffert
- Relief Comes to Abandoned Horses in Kentucky
- Rachel's Valentina Returns in Mother Goose
- Litfin at Large: The Mother Goose
- HRRN to Broadcast Queen's Plate Live
- Name Change for Historical Racing Company
- PA House Resolution Supports Sports Betting
- White-Headed Foal Named Southern Phantom
- Legends: Charlie Whittingham, the Bald Eagle