This was nothing like the 56-1 stunner he pulled off in the 2009 Rebel (gr. II), but Win Willy's one-length victory over odds-on favorite Misremembered in the Oaklawn Handicap (gr. II) April 9 still qualifies as a major upset
Odds-on choice Win Willy unleashed his terrific stretch kick to win the $75,000 Fifth Season Stakes by a neck over Stachys with a well-timed ride from Cliff Berry at Oaklawn Park Jan. 16.
Citing a post-race test showing the presence of two non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, stewards at Oaklawn Park have stripped Win Willy of his $90,000 winning purse in this year's Razorback Handicap (gr. III).
With a big charge through the homestretch, Win Willy picked up his first stakes win since last spring's Rebel Stakes (gr. II) when he drew away to easily take the $150,000 Razorback Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park March 6.
Win Willy, fourth-place finisher in the Arkansas Derby, was declared out of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) by trainer Mac Robertson the morning of April 29, hours before entries were to be taken.
Win Willy, a 56-1 shot, handed Old Fashioned the first loss of his career when he outfought the heavy favorite in the final eighth of a mile to win the $300,000 Rebel Stakes (gr. II) at Oaklawn Park March 14.
Most Popular Stories
- Weanling Daughter of Champion Zenyatta Dies
- Bob Neumeier Hospitalized After a Stroke
- No Nay Never to Coolmore After BC Turf Sprint
- 2013 Cup Generated $64.9M for Los Angeles
- Quiet Morning for Breeders' Cup Day 1
- Ageless Getting Chance Over Downhill Course
- That Handicapping Show: Breeders' Cup Classic
- Haskin's Saturday Longshot Plays
- BC Hoping Full Fields Carry Handle Numbers
- Longform: Long Live the Queen