Owner Eugene Melnyk goes for his third Sandy Lane Gold Cup on Saturday, March 5 as his recent claim Safety Zone heads a field of 12 in the turf race in Barbados.
The cream of the Canadian-bred sales yearling crop rose to the top at the selected session of the annual sale held by the Ontario division of the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society on Sept. 7 at Woodbine.
Danny Dion's Bear Stables named Canada's owner of the year - his Fatal Bullet Horse of the Year at Dec. 12 Sovereign Awards.
Four days after the select session of the Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society (Ontario division) yearling sale realized a small dip in average price, the preferred session boasted a 3% increase in average despite a large increase in the number of yearlings not sold and a drop in median price.
Robert Tiller, Louis Cauz, Wilderness Road, and Smart Strike are inducted into the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame Aug. 28.
Group I winner Best of The Bests, a leading first-crop sire in England by winners, will stand the 2007 breeding season at Windfields Farm in Oshawa, Ontario.
Hall of Fame trainer Bobby Frankel, who sent out Frank Stronach's Ghostzapper to win the Breeders' Cup Classic – Powered by Dodge (gr. I), will have a string of Stronach horses at Canada's Woodbine Racecourse this season.
Most Popular Stories
- Belle Gallantey Steals Delaware Handicap
- Empire Dreams Lands New York Derby
- Hangover Kid Strikes Late in Bowling Green
- Ben's Cat Claims Thrilling Parx Dash 3-Peat
- Finnegans Wake Gets Nod in Arlington 'Cap
- Starspangledbanner to Return to Coolmore
- Shakin It Up Retired, To Stand at Spendthrift
- Darley Sire Commands Dies in Australia
- Former Classics Starters Line Up in Jean Prat
- Slade Power Convincing July Cup Victor