The National Thoroughbred Racing Association, Daily Racing Form and the National Turf Writers Association announced Dec. 31 that the Web site courier-journal.com of the Louisville Courier-Journal has won the 2008 Media Eclipse Award in the Audio and Multi-Media Internet category for its three-part series on injuries to race horses, which appeared on its site from Aug. 16-18, 2008.
Steve Haskin, senior correspondent for The Blood-Horse was honored with his fourth Red Smith Award writing award Friday, it was announced by Churchill Downs.
Mike Kane of the Schenectady Daily Gazette was elected president
of the National Turf Writers Association, replacing Jennie Rees of the Louisville Courier-Journal, whose two-year term expired.
Four sports writers, including two honorees who established records with their latest awards, have been honored by Churchill Downs as winners in the 20th annual Red Smith Kentucky Derby Writing Contest.
Jennie Rees, racing writer for the Louisville Courier-Journal, has been named the Warner L. Jones Jr. "Horseman of the Year." Rees will accept the award Nov. 17 during a dinner at the Kentucky Derby Museum at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Retro Rebel: Smarty Jones Wowed in 2004
- Louisiana Bills to Reduce Dates, Slots Money
- Turfway to Boost Purses With KTDF Supplements
- Gulfstream Uses Graded Stakes Testing Fund
- Dixiana to Sponsor Two Keeneland Stakes
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 3/11/2014
- Jezki Wins Cheltenham's Champion Hurdle
- Downey: Derby Trail, Where They're Going Next
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Horses to Watch at OBS March Sale