A filly from the first crop of Eclipse Award-winning grass male English Channel topped Day 12 of the 14-day Keeneland September yearling sale in Lexington Sept. 24. The filly sold for $110,000.
Many buyers were pleased with the prices they paid for yearlings at the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky select sale, and some buyers were relieved the downturns weren't worse.
Soto, a graded winner at two and three, will enter stud at Jeffry Morris' Highclere near Lexington.
Ocean Terrace, a graded stakes winner from only five starts, has been retired from racing for stallion duty at Jeffry Morris' Highclere near Lexington.
Rokeby Rose, dam of two-time champion Silverbulletday, was euthanized Feb. 1 at Jeffry Morris' Highclere near Lexington
Distance loving Lapuma upset heavily favored Volga Sunday at Keeneland to win the $112,200 Dowager Stakes for fillies and mares on the turf.
The resultsof sales conducted so far this year have left sale company officials and horsemen scratching their heads. Are they trends or do they just reflect the up-and-down fortunes of individual auctions?
Jeffry Morris, long a top consignor and boarder of Thoroughbreds in Central Kentucky, is entering a new phase in his career, as he and his son, Stuart, will enter the stallion business in 2003. Their first prospect will be Malabar Gold, a son of Unbridled currently in training in Southern California.
The final session of the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga yearling auction saw further declines in gross and average for the third straight session in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., and overall the sale's average fell 34.7% from last year's record mark.
Sarava, the Belmont Stakes winner, was bred by New Yorker William Entenmann's Timber Bay Farm.
Most Popular Stories
- Wise Dan Faces Stiff Shadwell Turf Mile Test
- Cup Winners Secret Circle, Goldencents Clash
- Will Wise Dan Win Again in Shadwell Turf Mile
- Champagne Stakes is Next Step for I Spent It
- Wicked Strong to Sit Out Rest of Year
- Wonder Gal Seeks Rebound in Frizette Stakes
- Bustin It Heads New York Breeders' Futurity
- Thoroughbred Makeover is Bigger, Interactive
- Black Type On the Line in Indiana Oaks
- Classy Yanks vs. Euro Invaders in Hill Prince