Led by a Smart Strike filly sold for $525,000, the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic sale of 2-year-olds in training got off to a solid start May 22 with across-the-board gains in a market that continued the trends seen earlier in the juvenile auction season.
Favored Sweet Reason registered her third lifetime grade I victory when she came from well off the pace to capture the $500,000 Longines Test Stakes (gr. I) Aug. 2 at Saratoga Race Course.
Odds-on choice Noble Moon proved a popular winner of the $200,000 Jerome Stakes (gr. II) as the 3-year-old season started in New York Jan. 4 at frigid Aqueduct Racetrack.
Trainer Leah Gyarmati hopes her Spinaway (gr. I) winner Sweet Reason will earn her Breeders' Cup ticket with a victory in the Oct. 5 Frizette.
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Agent Ryan Not Surprised by Cloud Computing's Win