Grade I winner Bob Black Jack, who returned from a 14-month layoff to capture the San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Feb. 20, has been retired after sustaining a soft tissue injury during a workout March 19.
Bob Black Jack had a 14-month layoff to overcome but all the cards were in his favor when he wired the field in the $150,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) by 2 1/2 lengths at Santa Anita Feb. 20.
Malibu Stakes (gr. I) winner Bob Black Jack is undergoing tests to determine the exact nature of an ailment that is expected to keep sidelined for several months.
Bob Black Jack went gate to wire to easily win the $250,000 Malibu Stakes (gr. I) for 3-year-olds on opening day of the 2008-09 season at Santa Anita Park Dec. 26. It was the first graded stakes win for the California-bred Bob Black Jack.
California trainer James Kasparoff may only have three horses in his barn, but since one of them is May 3 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) starter Bob Black Jack, right now there is not much to complain about.
Odds-on choice Bob Black Jack re-broke in upper stretch after being headed by Winsome Charm, leaving his challenger behind while winning the $250,000 Sunshine Millions Dash by 3 1/2 lengths in a Cushion Track-record time for six furlongs at Santa Anita Jan. 26.
Most Popular Stories
- Girvin Battling Quarter Crack, KY Derby Not Ruled Out
- Record Tiznow Colt Lives Up to Expectations
- Animal Kingdom's First N. Hemisphere Starter Wins Big
- Tiznow Colt Brings $2.45 Million at OBS
- Strong Gains at OBS Session Led by Record Tiznow Colt
- Derby, Oaks Notes from Churchill Downs, April 27
- Sharp: Girvin Still on Track for Kentucky Derby
- Santa Anita Officials Confident Future Cards Will Fill
- Paradise Woods Records Final Work for Kentucky Oaks
- Pletcher Considering Royal Ascot for American Patriot