The Best of Ohio returns to the former River Downs for the first time since the mid-1990s Oct. 11 when Belterra Park hosts five Ohio-bred stakes worth a total of $750,000.
Belterra Park Gaming & Entertainment Center, the former River Downs, began its first race meet May 8 with official ceremonies and about 3,000 racing fans on hand on a summer-like afternoon.
Sherri Greenhill's Mac the Man and TK Stables' Allanah won the featured 3-year-olds stakes at Turfway Park Feb. 2 to give leading jockey Norberto Arroyo Jr. a riding double in the co-features.
Locally based horses with an eye toward bigger prizes will compete in a pair of $50,000 stakes for 3-year-olds at Turfway Park Feb. 2.
Mac the Man gave trainer Jeff Greenhill his first stakes win in Kentucky Jan. 5, taking the $50,000 Turfway Prevue at Turfway Park by an easy four lengths over Smokinindaboysroom.
The Kentucky Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association and Turfway Park are working together to determine whether there is enough interest in having the racetrack stay open for summer stabling and training.
- By Esther Marr
The 13-year-old was turned out to pasture at Erin and Dan Hall's Caerindoll Farm near Versailles, Ky. early this spring after making his 101st start, and life couldn't be better for the son of Signal Tap. read blog
Thirteen-year-old El Bomba reached his 100th race with a flourish Jan. 12 at Turfway Park, winning by a nose under the steady urging of jockey Amanda Tamburello.
Ohio racing still has its supporters, who are finding ways to capitalize on declining purses and a shrinking foal crop in the face of competition from racetracks with gaming in neighboring states.
The Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association will conduct its New and Prospective Owners seminar on May 16 at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Gentildonna Goes Out On Top in Career Finale
- Main Sequence Arrives in Florida for Winter
- Bayern, 'Chrome Work Toward Possible Rematch
- Juvenile Catalina Red Sets Tampa Track Mark
- Shared Belief Sprints to Game Malibu Triumph
- Is Early Detection of Arthritis in Horses Finally a Reality?
- Lady Pimpernel Gets First U.S. Win in Frankel
- Apprentice Rider Ramgeet Out Indefinitely
- Jockey Bain, 62, Wins Again at Gulfstream
- Taris to be Sidelined After Injury in La Brea