Might E Man, also known as "The People's Horse," captured the $10,000 Preview Stakes Saturday at Portland Meadows.
Portland Meadows set a new single-day handle record Monday when $657,311 was bet on the nine-race program.
Portland Meadows has canceled Friday and Saturday racing due to unsafe weather conditions. Friday's closure marks the third consecutive day that Portland Meadows and all MEC Oregon Racing Inc. OTB's have been closed for simulcasting due to the severe weather conditions.
Portland Meadows drew a season-record 3,550 for Saturday's Oregon Championship Day. The fans saw leading female rider Twyla Beckner capture three of the five stakes races in the series.
Changes in first post time and fuller fields have produced pari-mutuel gains this season for Portland Meadows, which on Dec. 1 cleared the half-million-dollar mark in total handle for a program for the first time in 15 years.
Fresh off one of the best opening days at Portland Meadows Racetrack in years, the initial response in switching from Sunday to Monday afternoon racing has been solid. Handle increased 54% from last year at this time when $176,080 was wagered on Monday's nine-race card.
Most Popular Stories
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Quality Over Quantity in Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Catalog
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Street Surrender, Roman Secure First Stakes Win
- Durkin to Lead Personalized Tours of Hall of Fame
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby
- Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf Berth for Birdie Gold
- Society's Chairman Continues Beating the Odds
- Lady Eli, Cloud Computing Among Workers for Brown
- California Sire Benchmark Dead at 26