Might E Man, also known as "The People's Horse," captured the $10,000 Preview Stakes Saturday at Portland Meadows.
Portland Meadows set a new single-day handle record Monday when $657,311 was bet on the nine-race program.
Portland Meadows has canceled Friday and Saturday racing due to unsafe weather conditions. Friday's closure marks the third consecutive day that Portland Meadows and all MEC Oregon Racing Inc. OTB's have been closed for simulcasting due to the severe weather conditions.
Portland Meadows drew a season-record 3,550 for Saturday's Oregon Championship Day. The fans saw leading female rider Twyla Beckner capture three of the five stakes races in the series.
Changes in first post time and fuller fields have produced pari-mutuel gains this season for Portland Meadows, which on Dec. 1 cleared the half-million-dollar mark in total handle for a program for the first time in 15 years.
Fresh off one of the best opening days at Portland Meadows Racetrack in years, the initial response in switching from Sunday to Monday afternoon racing has been solid. Handle increased 54% from last year at this time when $176,080 was wagered on Monday's nine-race card.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Close Hatches Dominates Personal Ensign
- California Chrome Sharpens Up at Los Alamitos
- Mark Valeski, Magna Graduate to Woodford
- Bayern Gallops 1 1/2 Miles On Eve of Travers
- Hootenanny, The Wow Signal to Meet in France
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Irish Surf Opts for Classic Over Del Mar 'Cap
- Jerkens, Lukas, Durkin Honored at Saratoga
- Narniyn Seeks Breakthrough in Jean Romanet