Kicking off the juvenile sales season coupled with a strong turnout from Japanese buyers boosted the Barretts March selected 2-year-olds in training sale March 5 in Pomona, Calif.
Roses in May, last year's Whitney Handicap (gr. I) victor and the 2005 Dubai World Cup winner, breezed five furlongs over Saratoga's main track Friday morning in :59 4/5. "He looked great," trainer Dale Romans said.
The Japanese owner-trainer team that attempted to win the 1999 Arc de Triomphe (Fr-I) with El Condor Pasa announced their intention to target the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) with Sushi Train, a Deputy Minister colt who has won his only two starts in Japan by a combined 19 lengths.
- By Ray Paulick
By Ray Paulick -- Racing fans from the baby boomer generation were spoiled by the remarkable careers of the three most recent Triple Crown winners, Secretariat (1973), Seattle Slew (1977), and Affirmed (1978). Maybe that's why the knockers are lining up to take their shots at War Emblem as he bids for the Triple Crown.
Bathed in sunshine from start to finish, the 14th Tattersalls breeze-up sale ended Thursday on a high note. The 53 juveniles sold grossed 1,593,500 guineas and averaged 30,066 guineas, up 27% from the corresponding session last year.
Three juveniles brought prices that topped the previous sale record of 125,000 guineas during the first session of the Tattersalls breeze-up auction on Wednesday in England.
In the week leading up to the Hong Kong International Races, the buzz during morning track works at the Sha Tin Racecourse was that Japan would have a very good day on Sunday. No kidding. Four races were run. Three times, the Japanese national anthem followed the winning ceremony, capped by the victory of Agnes Digital in the HK$18 million Hong Kong Cup.
Most Popular Stories
- Irish War Cry Returns to Worktab; Belmont Run Possible
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Weekend Stakes Rundown: Gold Cup Day
- Zayat Pinhooking Venture Returns Large Profit
- Graded Stakes Winner Destin Set for 2017 Debut
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Familiar Faces Highlight New York Showcase
- Litfin: Gold Cup Figures to Set up Well for Accelerate
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park