Trainer Joe Janiak said he is considering bringing top sprinter Takeover Target to the United States to contest the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint at Santa Anita, an Australian newspaper reported.
He may be aging, but Australian sprint champion Takeover Target (Celtic Swing-Shady Stream, by Archregent) is going back to England for his third crack at showing the world just how fast he is.
Takeover Target roared back into Royal Ascot contention Saturday by gunning down the wonder 3-year-old filly of Australia, Gold Edition to win the Carlton Draught Doomben.
Stewards have revealed that the drug in Takeover Target, who was ordered scratched from the HK$20 million Hong Kong Cup, contained 17 parts alpha-hydroxyprogesterone hexonate. This showed up the day the horse arrived in Hong Kong from Japan in early November and again in four subsequent checks.
When they line up for Hong Kong's International Day of racing Dec. 10, Australian trainer Joe Janiak will not be wearing a top hat and tails. He did of course do just that when in England earlier this year with his potential movie star horse Takeover Target. After Takeover Target won the King's Stand (Eng-II) Stakes at Ascot, people wanted to know who these unlikely stars were.
Takeover Target romped to the second Global Sprint Challenge title on Sunday, the Joseph Janiak-trained gelding winning the Sprinters Stakes (Jpn-I) at Nakayama Racecourse.
Takeover Target took a giant step to a wider stage with a grand win in the Lightning Stakes (Aus-I) at Melbourne's Flemington oval Feb. 4.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Los Alamitos
- Jaramillo Named to Ride Majesto in Derby
- Suddenbreakingnews to Have New Look in Derby
- Ben's Cat Victorious in Return at Laurel
- Nyquist Gets First Look at Churchill Downs
- Nyquist Another Big Score for Dennis O'Neill
- Lady Shipman Easy Winner in Belmont Return
- Adventist 'Ready' if Derby Spot Opens Up
- Haskin: Viva Canonero...Again
- Derby Battle: Tapit vs. Uncle Mo