The West Virginia Racing Commission June 17 overturned a woman's almost nine-year ban from Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races and tabled action on a similar ejection of her husband.
A husband and wife that have been banned from Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races for more than eight years in connection with a horseman's group civil lawsuit finally had their appeal heard Jan. 29.
The growth of casino-style gaming at racetracks has brought with it executives with little or no experience in horse racing, something horsemen said makes them more vulnerable to exclusionary practices.
The right of racetrack exclusion is being tested in West Virginia, where Charles Town Races & Slots is seeking to keep the state racing commission from holding hearings to consider granting three individuals reinstatement to the facility.
Horsemen's groups are rallying around a couple banned from Charles Town Races & Slots in West Virginia because of what the track owner terms integrity issues.
Dick and Janene Watson were at the forefront of the rebirth of Charles Town Races when video lottery terminals began operating in the mid-1990s. But they haven't been able to race their horses for the track's gaming fueled-purses for more than two years, and perhaps might never get the chance again.
The former president of the Charles Town Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association is calling for a special election in the wake of what he calls repeated attempts by the current president and board of directors to discredit him and his wife.
The Charles Town Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association said legal proceedings against its former president, Dick Watson, have concluded.
Most Popular Stories
- Australia Easy Juddmonte International Winner
- The Jockey Club Elects Six New Members
- Thoro-Graph Products Added to Equibase.com
- Shared Belief Looking to Retain His Throne
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Champion English Channel Relocates to Calumet
- Understanding the Biomechanics of Lameness
- Wise Dan to Make Return in Bernard Baruch
- RCI Votes Increased Multiple NSAID Penalties
- Tiz Wonderful Colt Sells for OKC Sale Record