Charitable Annuity won the $450,000 West Virginia Breeders' Classic Oct. 10 for owner Mark Russell, whose other entrant, the venerable Russell Road, checked in ninth in his attempt to win the race for a fourth time.
The winners of the last three editions of the West Virginia Breeders' Classic Stakes will square off the evening of Oct. 18 when Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races hosts the feature and eight other state-bred stakes.
Owner Mark Russell did some ducking and dodging with his 7-year-old gelding Russell Road at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort, and it paid off in an unusual way.
Mark Russell's Russell Road, a millionaire West Virginia-bred, signaled he's ready for another campaign with a smashing victory in the $50,000 Confucius Say Stakes at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races Apri 14.
Preparations have begun, locally and elsewhere, for the $1-million Charles Town Classic in April.
Mark Russell's Russell Road ran his record to eight-for-eight in West Virginia-bred stakes with a victory in the $51,100 A Heuvo Stakes at Charles Town Races & Slots Nov. 21.
Eleanor M. Casey, matriarch of one of West Virginia's most successful racing families, died July 28 after an accident at Charles Town racetrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Tepin Back to Brilliant in Saratoga Work
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- 'Cleopatra' in Gate Drill for Debutante
- Flatter Colt Tops OBS Select Yearling Session
- 'Chrome,' Beholder Weighing Options after PC
- Southern CA Tracks, TOC Have Dates Agreement
- Gran Villano is 75th Scat Daddy Stakes Winner
- Six Stakes Fill NY Showcase Day
- Songbird a Perfect 10 After Easy Alabama Win