The winners of the last three editions of the West Virginia Breeders' Classic Stakes will square off the evening of Oct. 18 when Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races hosts the feature and eight other state-bred stakes.
Owner Mark Russell did some ducking and dodging with his 7-year-old gelding Russell Road at Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack & Resort, and it paid off in an unusual way.
Mark Russell's Russell Road, a millionaire West Virginia-bred, signaled he's ready for another campaign with a smashing victory in the $50,000 Confucius Say Stakes at Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races Apri 14.
Preparations have begun, locally and elsewhere, for the $1-million Charles Town Classic in April.
Mark Russell's Russell Road ran his record to eight-for-eight in West Virginia-bred stakes with a victory in the $51,100 A Heuvo Stakes at Charles Town Races & Slots Nov. 21.
Eleanor M. Casey, matriarch of one of West Virginia's most successful racing families, died July 28 after an accident at Charles Town racetrack.
Most Popular Stories
- Ankle Chip Will Sideline International Star
- Mr. Z Camp Still Undecided on Preakness
- Average of 16 Million Viewed KY Derby on NBC
- Kentucky Derby Horse-By-Horse Recap
- Kentucky Derby Recap: American Idol
- TOBA's Annual Breeding Clinic Set for Mid-May
- Former NBA Chief to Speak at Conference
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Gulfstream Reports Solid Meet Numbers
- Kentucky Historical Racing Passes $1 Billion