Lawyer Ron made a successful case for himself as 2007's champion older male. Racing for the estate of his breeder and original owner, the late Ownesboro, Ky., businessman James T. Hines Jr., Lawyer Ron, for the second consecutive season, earned better than $1 million, and won a pair of grade I contests in impressive fashion.
Hines Racing's Lawyer Ron overcame an outside post position to set a track record while defeating a formidable field in winning the $810,000 Whitney Stakes (gr. I) Saturday at Saratoga.
Lawyer Ron, a 2 ¾-length winner of the Arkansas Derby (gr. II), recorded his first workout since surgery after running in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) yesterday. The 3-year-old colt was timed in a zippy :34 1/5 for three furlongs, galloping out four furlongs in :46 and change over the main track at Churchill Downs.
James T. Hines Jr., who was looking forward to the spring classics with his homebred colt Lawyer Ron, was found dead Feb. 21 in the indoor swimming pool at his home near Owensboro, Ky.
James T. Hines Jr.'s homebred Lawyer Ron had the final word in Saturday's $268,000 Risen Star (gr. III) for 3-year-olds, romping to victory over six foes at the Fair Grounds meeting at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Connect in Good Shape After PA Derby Win
- Solid Keeneland Sale Ends With Declines
- Runhappy Logs Final Drill for Return
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby
- Handle Decreased 26% at Monmouth Park in 2016
- Miyadi Suspended by CHRB After Altercation