Lawyer Ron made a successful case for himself as 2007's champion older male. Racing for the estate of his breeder and original owner, the late Ownesboro, Ky., businessman James T. Hines Jr., Lawyer Ron, for the second consecutive season, earned better than $1 million, and won a pair of grade I contests in impressive fashion.
Hines Racing's Lawyer Ron overcame an outside post position to set a track record while defeating a formidable field in winning the $810,000 Whitney Stakes (gr. I) Saturday at Saratoga.
Lawyer Ron, a 2 ¾-length winner of the Arkansas Derby (gr. II), recorded his first workout since surgery after running in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) yesterday. The 3-year-old colt was timed in a zippy :34 1/5 for three furlongs, galloping out four furlongs in :46 and change over the main track at Churchill Downs.
James T. Hines Jr., who was looking forward to the spring classics with his homebred colt Lawyer Ron, was found dead Feb. 21 in the indoor swimming pool at his home near Owensboro, Ky.
James T. Hines Jr.'s homebred Lawyer Ron had the final word in Saturday's $268,000 Risen Star (gr. III) for 3-year-olds, romping to victory over six foes at the Fair Grounds meeting at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- Lopez Lets El Kabeir Be 'The Boss'
- Slideshow: On the Way In Uruguay
- HOF Trainer Jerkens in Intensive Care in FL
- Crimson Giant Chasing Unlikely Big 'Cap Glory
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- Horses to Watch at F-T Florida Sale
- American Pharoah Tops 162 Blue Grass Nominees
- Consignors Upbeat Ahead of F-T Florida Sale