Recount led from the gate but had to fight out the finish of the $125,000 Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. III) with familiar rival Private Prospect for a head-bobbing victory Sept. 6 at Arlington International Racecourse.
After winning four of the first five races for juveniles or juvenile fillies at the Keeneland spring meeting, trainer Wesley Ward will sit out the finale Thursday, April 25.
A Bernstein colt sold for $300,000 to top the first session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s June sale of 2-year-olds in training and horses of racing age.
Piratesonthelake, a five-time winner in 2007 for trainer James DeVito, heads a closely matched group of 10 sophomore sprinters entered in the $200,000 Select Stakes on the Monmouth Park program Oct. 27.
Though just a $25,000 2-year-old purchase, Piratesonthelake has proven himself a consistent sprinter at both Hawthorne and Arlington Park, winning four races during the year. Now the bay gelding might get a chance to show his talent on a national stage, as an electrifying victory in the $100,000 Kentucky Cup Sprint (gr. III) at Turfway Park Sept. 29 may have paved his way to the Breeders' Cup next month.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Top 3-Year-Old Fillies to Battle in Cotillion
- Kandaly, 1994 Louisiana Derby Winner, Dies
- 2013 Breeding Activity Statistics Released
- Jockey Club: Study Shows Lasix Not Needed
- Oaklawn to Offer Bonuses for Lasix-Free Wins
- Study Examines EIPH and Racing Performance
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16
- Breeders Sales Co. Expects Strong Auction
- That Handicapping Show: Pennsylvania Derby