Recount led from the gate but had to fight out the finish of the $125,000 Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. III) with familiar rival Private Prospect for a head-bobbing victory Sept. 6 at Arlington International Racecourse.
After winning four of the first five races for juveniles or juvenile fillies at the Keeneland spring meeting, trainer Wesley Ward will sit out the finale Thursday, April 25.
A Bernstein colt sold for $300,000 to top the first session of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co.'s June sale of 2-year-olds in training and horses of racing age.
Piratesonthelake, a five-time winner in 2007 for trainer James DeVito, heads a closely matched group of 10 sophomore sprinters entered in the $200,000 Select Stakes on the Monmouth Park program Oct. 27.
Though just a $25,000 2-year-old purchase, Piratesonthelake has proven himself a consistent sprinter at both Hawthorne and Arlington Park, winning four races during the year. Now the bay gelding might get a chance to show his talent on a national stage, as an electrifying victory in the $100,000 Kentucky Cup Sprint (gr. III) at Turfway Park Sept. 29 may have paved his way to the Breeders' Cup next month.
Most Popular Stories
- Judge Rules Veitch Improperly Dismissed
- Cigar Mile As 'Stallion Maker'
- Take Charge Brandi, Mr. Z to Los Alamitos
- Chris' Brew, Galina Point Top Woodbine Stakes
- Stryker Phd Faces Everton in Berkeley 'Cap
- Preparing for Breeding Season
- After Gallop, California Chrome Ready to Go
- Frivolous Posts Falls City Handicap Upset
- Finnegans Wake Prevails in Hollywood Turf Cup
- Chrome to Go for the Green in Hollywood Derby