Afleet Express, tenacious winner of the $1 million Travers Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga against a stellar field, has been retired from racing and will stand the 2011 season at the Beck family's Gainesway Farm near Lexington.
In a thrilling edition of $1 million Shadwell Travers Stakes (gr. I), Afleet Express held off Fly Down by the narrowest of margins to win the "Mid-summer Derby" Aug. 28 at Saratoga.
Odds-on favorite Jackson Bend, the third-place finisher of the Preakness (gr. I), tired badly after turning for home, as second choice Afleet Express sailed to a 1 3/4-length win in the $200,000 Pegasus Stakes (gr. III)
The 4-year-old colt scores consecutive stakes wins with a victory in the Maxxam Gold Cup Jan. 26 at Sam Houston Race Park.
Most Popular Stories
- TOBA Names Top Owners, Breeders for 2014
- Live Stream of Welfare Summit Offered July 8
- Big Blue Kitten Takes United Nations
- Shaman Ghost Rallies to Take Queen's Plate
- Favorite Tale Upsets Champion Work All Week
- Filly is First Winner for Albertus Maximus
- American Pharoah to Haskell
- Bradester Too Strong in Salvator Mile
- Lady Eli Sparkles in Belmont Oaks
- Grand Bili Upsets Barbados in Carry Back