Afleet Express, tenacious winner of the $1 million Travers Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga against a stellar field, has been retired from racing and will stand the 2011 season at the Beck family's Gainesway Farm near Lexington.
In a thrilling edition of $1 million Shadwell Travers Stakes (gr. I), Afleet Express held off Fly Down by the narrowest of margins to win the "Mid-summer Derby" Aug. 28 at Saratoga.
Odds-on favorite Jackson Bend, the third-place finisher of the Preakness (gr. I), tired badly after turning for home, as second choice Afleet Express sailed to a 1 3/4-length win in the $200,000 Pegasus Stakes (gr. III)
The 4-year-old colt scores consecutive stakes wins with a victory in the Maxxam Gold Cup Jan. 26 at Sam Houston Race Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Deal Reached on Pegasus Starting Slot for Gun Runner
- California Chrome's Dubai Win voted Moment of the Year
- Two New Sires to California's Milky Way Farm
- A. P. Indy Fires Another Across the Bow
- Jockey Lane Luzzi Follows in Father's Footsteps
- First Foal for Circumference is a Filly
- First Foal a Filly for Grade 1 Winner Danza
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- Slimmed Down Racing May Be Finding Its Footing
- Bahamian Squall's First Foal is a Colt