Afleet Express, tenacious winner of the $1 million Travers Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga against a stellar field, has been retired from racing and will stand the 2011 season at the Beck family's Gainesway Farm near Lexington.
In a thrilling edition of $1 million Shadwell Travers Stakes (gr. I), Afleet Express held off Fly Down by the narrowest of margins to win the "Mid-summer Derby" Aug. 28 at Saratoga.
Odds-on favorite Jackson Bend, the third-place finisher of the Preakness (gr. I), tired badly after turning for home, as second choice Afleet Express sailed to a 1 3/4-length win in the $200,000 Pegasus Stakes (gr. III)
The 4-year-old colt scores consecutive stakes wins with a victory in the Maxxam Gold Cup Jan. 26 at Sam Houston Race Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Frosted Confirmed for Breeders' Cup Classic
- Beholder Blazes in Breeders' Cup Drill
- Songbird Works Fast and Easy at Santa Anita
- 'Stubborn' Runhappy Works a Mile at Keeneland
- Can Frosted Cool Down Chrome-Arrogate Fever?
- A Look Back: Showdown in the 1986 Marlboro
- Breeders' Cup Decision Looms for Frosted
- Malibu Moon Filly Tops F-T Pinhook Prospects
- Consistent Just Jack Set for Maryland Million
- Catch a Glimpse May Not be Done for Season