Afleet Express, tenacious winner of the $1 million Travers Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga against a stellar field, has been retired from racing and will stand the 2011 season at the Beck family's Gainesway Farm near Lexington.
In a thrilling edition of $1 million Shadwell Travers Stakes (gr. I), Afleet Express held off Fly Down by the narrowest of margins to win the "Mid-summer Derby" Aug. 28 at Saratoga.
Odds-on favorite Jackson Bend, the third-place finisher of the Preakness (gr. I), tired badly after turning for home, as second choice Afleet Express sailed to a 1 3/4-length win in the $200,000 Pegasus Stakes (gr. III)
The 4-year-old colt scores consecutive stakes wins with a victory in the Maxxam Gold Cup Jan. 26 at Sam Houston Race Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Stanford Among Seven for Curlin Stakes
- Belmont Average Handle, Attendance Decline
- Lenny's Place: Hall of Fame Edition
- ABR Releases Another Digital Video Ad
- Curalina Gets CCA Oaks After 'Chatterbox' DQ
- Durkin Named TCA Honored Guest
- Track Defends Trainer Suspended for Positive
- Wild Dude Stuns Masochistic in Bing Crosby
- French Bloodstock Agent Moquet Dies at Age 46
- Reports of Mares Bred Due by Aug. 1.