Afleet Express, tenacious winner of the $1 million Travers Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga against a stellar field, has been retired from racing and will stand the 2011 season at the Beck family's Gainesway Farm near Lexington.
In a thrilling edition of $1 million Shadwell Travers Stakes (gr. I), Afleet Express held off Fly Down by the narrowest of margins to win the "Mid-summer Derby" Aug. 28 at Saratoga.
Odds-on favorite Jackson Bend, the third-place finisher of the Preakness (gr. I), tired badly after turning for home, as second choice Afleet Express sailed to a 1 3/4-length win in the $200,000 Pegasus Stakes (gr. III)
The 4-year-old colt scores consecutive stakes wins with a victory in the Maxxam Gold Cup Jan. 26 at Sam Houston Race Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31
- Leave the Light On Off Derby Trail
- Is Ceftiofur Sodium an Effective Treatment for Placentitis?
- The Legacy of Gone West
- Withers Favorite El Kabeir Breezes at Belmont
- Honor Code, Top Billing Near 4YO Debuts
- KY Derby Winner Thunder Gulch Pensioned at 23
- 2014 New Mexico Champions Announced
- Texas Red Set for Super Return in San Vicente
- Turfway Increases Purses, Adds Race Per Week