John C. Oxley's Jambalaya Jazz, a 13-year-old stallion standing at Charles Nuckols Jr. and Sons' Nuckols Farm near Midway, Ky., was killed by lightning in his paddock June 27.
Classic Appeal stole the show Saturday at Hawthorne, winning the Chicagoland Handicap as part of a six-race stakes series each worth $100,000. Gumbo Love is the sire Jambalaya Jazz's first stakes winner in the Violet.
Graded stakes winner Jambalaya Jazz was represented by his first winner when John C. Oxley's homebred colt Flying Jazz won at seven furlongs at Keeneland Oct. 5.
Most Popular Stories
- Blue Grass Runner-Up Medal Count Derby Bound
- Game On Dude Arrives for Charles Town Classic
- Fillies Sparkle in Furlong Drills at OBS
- Champion Producer My Flag Dies at Claiborne
- Barretts May Sale Catalog Now Online
- 2014 Stallion Showcase
- Haskin: Art Sherman, Dave Erb 'Swap' Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 4/14/2014
- 'A Not-To-Be-Missed Uptown Society Event'
- Hamilton Joins Darby Dan Farm