John C. Oxley's Jambalaya Jazz, a 13-year-old stallion standing at Charles Nuckols Jr. and Sons' Nuckols Farm near Midway, Ky., was killed by lightning in his paddock June 27.
Classic Appeal stole the show Saturday at Hawthorne, winning the Chicagoland Handicap as part of a six-race stakes series each worth $100,000. Gumbo Love is the sire Jambalaya Jazz's first stakes winner in the Violet.
Graded stakes winner Jambalaya Jazz was represented by his first winner when John C. Oxley's homebred colt Flying Jazz won at seven furlongs at Keeneland Oct. 5.
Most Popular Stories
- Monmouth, Atlantic City Granted 2015 Dates
- Moore, Ortiz Line Up for HK Jockey Battle
- Goffs Registers Record-Breaking Foal Sale
- Indiana Grand Approved for 120 Dates in 2015
- 'Indian Charlie' Sues to Get Back on Track
- First Win for United States at Charles Town
- New York to Act on New Medication Rules
- Pomeroy, Flashy Bull to Stand in Saudi Arabia
- Ex-Calder Racing Secretary Headed to Hialeah
- Torrid Martin Resumes Golden Gate Hot Streak