John C. Oxley's Jambalaya Jazz, a 13-year-old stallion standing at Charles Nuckols Jr. and Sons' Nuckols Farm near Midway, Ky., was killed by lightning in his paddock June 27.
Classic Appeal stole the show Saturday at Hawthorne, winning the Chicagoland Handicap as part of a six-race stakes series each worth $100,000. Gumbo Love is the sire Jambalaya Jazz's first stakes winner in the Violet.
Graded stakes winner Jambalaya Jazz was represented by his first winner when John C. Oxley's homebred colt Flying Jazz won at seven furlongs at Keeneland Oct. 5.
Most Popular Stories
- The Dirt On Synthetics Timeline
- What's Going On Here: Keeping the Promise
- Encouraging Starts to Saratoga, Del Mar Meets
- The Week in Photos for 7/22/2014
- Commanding Curve Entered in Curlin Stakes
- Better Lucky Shines; My Miss Aurelia Third
- Adena Springs' Roberts Returns to Training
- Filly Untapable Works Toward Haskell
- Will Take Charge Works Toward Whitney
- Grade I Winner Heir Kitty Tops Del Mar Sale