John C. Oxley's Jambalaya Jazz, a 13-year-old stallion standing at Charles Nuckols Jr. and Sons' Nuckols Farm near Midway, Ky., was killed by lightning in his paddock June 27.
Classic Appeal stole the show Saturday at Hawthorne, winning the Chicagoland Handicap as part of a six-race stakes series each worth $100,000. Gumbo Love is the sire Jambalaya Jazz's first stakes winner in the Violet.
Graded stakes winner Jambalaya Jazz was represented by his first winner when John C. Oxley's homebred colt Flying Jazz won at seven furlongs at Keeneland Oct. 5.
Most Popular Stories
- BC Classic: How Weak Are the Older Horses?
- Trainer D'Amato's Success Long Time in Coming
- Hollendorfer: Shared Belief Has 'Great' Work
- O'Neill and Racing's Slow Regulatory Process
- Live Chat - Thursday, October 23 at NOON EST
- KY Necropsy Program Disproves 'Bad Step' Myth
- What's Going On Here: Gary Player's Top 10
- Leagues Seek to Halt New Jersey Sports Bets
- F-T October Sale Gains Across Board at Opener
- Researchers Examine Fatal Lumbar Vertebral Fractures