Original Spin, winner of the Arlington Washington Lassie (gr. III) and third-place finisher in the Alberto VO5 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) as a 2-year-old, edged Fort Prado for Illinois-bred Horse of the Year honors in 2005.
In spite of being left at the gate, M.Y. Stables' outsider Knowwhatimean wound his way through a 12-horse field for jockey Seth Martinez to win the $114,050 Lightning Jet Handicap, one of six feature races for Illinois breds at Hawthorne Saturday.
Jockey Jesse Campbell, who won the first race of his career at Arlington Park in 1995, scored his 1,000th victory when he guided High Expectations to a six-length tally in the $88,900 Springfield Stakes Saturday during Arlington's Prairie State Festival.
Four Illinois divisional champions from 2004 are prominent among 65 horses entered for the six $75,000-added stakes races that comprise the sixth annual Prairie State Festival to be held Saturday at Arlington Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion She's a Tiger Retired
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks