For the fourth year in a row and fifth overall, 10-year-old warrior Ben's Cat won the $100,000 Jim McKay Turf Sprint May 20 and did it in dramatic fashion under the bright sun at Pimlico Race Course.
Ben's Cat, the formidable iron horse who keeps on campaigning for Hall of Fame trainer King Leatherbury, could take home his fourth consecutive edition of the $200,000 Fabulous Strike Handicap Nov. 25 at Penn National.
Two competitors from the Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. I) and another who was nominated but opted for a New York-bred stakes are among 27 nominees for the Frank J. De Francis Memorial Dash at Laurel Park Nov. 14.
Jack's in the Deck and jockey Forest Boyce won a stretch duel with 3-5 favorite Ben's Cat for a game nose victory in the $100,000 Maryland Million Sprint at Laurel Park Oct. 17.
Love of Money, winner of the 2004 Pennsylvania Derby (gr. II) who later found a home in the Keystone State as a stallion, died earlier this month at age 11.
King T. Leatherbury's homebred gelding Ben's Cat swept three divisional categories: older male, turf runner, and sprinter, and was named Maryland-bred Horse of the Year of 2011.
Trainer Todd Pletcher says he's not comparing new stable star Overdriven to last year's champion 2-year-old colt Uncle Mo. But he may have trouble keeping others from doing so after an easy win in the Sanford Stakes July 24.
Todd Pletcher, who has won three of the last seven editions of the Sanford (gr. II), will have another strong chance when he sends out impressive maiden winner Overdriven July 24 at Saratoga.
Maiden Jack's in the Deck split horses in the stretch and burst home to capture the $150,000 Futurity Stakes (gr. II) by four lengths in an upset at cloudy Belmont Park July 3.
Most Popular Stories
- Phipps, Gaines, Winn Named 2017 Pillars of the Turf
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Laurel Stakes Schedule Features $1.6 Million in Purses
- Curlin Colt Sets Midlantic Record at $1.5 Million
- Agent O'Neill Bullish on Stallion Orb
- Phipps Family to Receive Inaugural Dinny Phipps Award
- McCraken Back on Work Tab After Derby Disappointment
- Thunder Snow, Churchill Face Off in Irish 2,000 Guineas
- What's Going On Here: The Pay Off