With reconstruction work continuing at Delta Downs Racetrack & Casino in the aftermath of Hurricane Rita, the track's Thoroughbred meet will remain at Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino.
Delta Downs Racetrack & Casino recently unveiled its 10-story hotel as part of the finishing touches of a $60-million expansion project. Another project at the Vinton, La., racetrack--conversion of the racing surface to one mile and addition of a turf course--remains on the drawing board but faces some challenges.
Not content to just offer a $1-million race, Delta Downs Racetrack & Casino is looking for ways to promote the stakes and its wagering business both on and off track.
The $1-million Delta Jackpot Dec. 5 at Delta Downs generated so much exposure and money for the racetrack that it will return next year, said general manager Jack Bernsmeier, who would like to see similar big-money races at all Louisiana tracks.
Most Popular Stories
- Stonestreet: Rachel's Valentina Retired
- 'Chrome' Edges Dortmund in Del Mar Battle
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Late Run Lifts Dacita to Victory in Diana
- Lanerie Scores Unusual Double at Ellis Park
- California Diamond Shines in Paddock Sale
- Enola Gray Still Perfect After Del Mar Run
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis