Favored Sassy Image came from out of the clouds to capture the $350,000 Princess Rooney Handicap (gr. I) to highlight the "Summit of Speed" program at Calder Casino & Race Course July 9, her second grade I win in two months.
Sassy Image made her win in the grade I Humana Distaff look easy earlier this month at Churchill, but she was pushed to the limit by longshot Beat the Blues May 30 before prevailing by a neck in the Winning Colors (gr. III).
Jerry Romans' filly, a daughter of Broken Vow, rallies from off the pace to win going away; 4-year-old filly was longest shot on the board at 16-1.
Sassy Image kicked off her 3-year-old campaign with a facile victory in the off-the-turf Sweetest Chant Stakes at rainy Gulfstream Park Jan. 17.
Jerry Romans Jr.'s Sassy Image took over from Decelerator in upper stretch and pulled clear for a convincing 3 3/4-length score in the $163,200 Golden Rod (gr. II) on Nov. 28, as she swept the juvenile fillies stakes at the Churchill Downs fall meet.
Favored Sassy Image emerged with the lead past mid-stretch and pulled clear late to post her first stakes win by two lengths in the $115,900 Pocahontas (gr. III) for 2-year-old fillies on opening day of the Churchill Downs 21-day fall meet Nov. 1.
Folklore, the presumptive champion 2-year-old filly in 2005, proved vulnerable Monday at Santa Anita in her first start since capturing the Alberto VO5 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) Oct. 29. But owners Robert and Beverly Lewis still had reason to celebrate when entry mate Dance Daily held on to win the $150,000 Santa Ynez (gr. II) for 3-year-old fillies during the Martin Luther King Day program.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Catch A Glimpse Has Homecoming in Nassau
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- CHRB Approves Medication Conditions for Breeders' Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Humane Society, PETA Support USADA Bill