Kicking off Churchill Down's spring meet a week before the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) is the April 28 Derby Trial Stakes, where a full field of 14 3-year-old males will contend for the title of the $100,000 race. Appearing to head the field is Southwest Stakes winner Teuflesberg.
J. Paul Reddam's Southern California shipper Notional turned in an impressive effort in winning Saturday's $300,000 Risen Star (gr. III), a race marred by a fall that spoiled whatever chance the heavy favorite Circular Quay had of winning the 3-year-old test at Fair Grounds.
Grade I winner Circular Quay kicks off his 3-year-old campaign by heading a full field of 14 sophomores named to the $300,000 grade III Risen Star Stakes at Fair Grounds.
Trainer Larry Jones thought undefeated Hard Spun would face the first difficult test of his career in Saturday's $100,000 Lecomte (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at the Fair Grounds. But as the even-money choice swung off the far turn, it was apparent that this one-mile event was all but over.
Undefeated Hard Spun has been named the 2-1 morning line favorite for the $100,000 Lecomte Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds at Fair Grounds Race Course Jan. 13.
The similarities between last year's Miller Lite Cradle Stakes winner and this year's were striking. Both were owned and bred by Claiborne Farm, both were trained by Frank Brothers, Corey Lanerie rode both, and both share the same sire -- Pulpit.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Pedigree Analysis: Bayern
- Captain Serious, Empire Dreams Head Showcase
- Stryker Phd Smart Choice in Longacres Mile
- Live Saratoga Weekend Coverage from HRRN
- Filly is First Winner for Justenuffhumor
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Plays
- Travers Stakes: Bayern Gets a Bath
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Which Game On Dude Will Show Up in Classic?